Pages: 12 »
Posted on 01-26-18, 05:27 pm (rev. 13 by  Shadey21 on 08-07-18, 12:13 am)
Flurry

Since: 10-14-11
Description:
This is a large modification of the Mario vs Luigi mode. It aims to recreate the Single Player mode with features and assets from it. Players will be able to play all the levels from the Single Player mode together with a friend. Currently, only all of World 1 is playable. More levels will be added in the future.
Some features are missing such as the World Map, Star Coins and Mushroom Houses.
If you come across any issues/bugs, please report them here and I'll try and fix them.

Features:
  • Additional Music - Music per level! No longer limited to 2 songs! This includes Boss Fights! (Video)
  • Synced Coins - Players can collect 100 coins to earn a life. (No coin counter but fully functional).
  • Synced Lives - Players now have the same life counter. A life is lost when a player dies, not both. (Max 8 Lives).
  • Synced Bosses - Bosses won't desync and their difficulty has been increased.
  • Synced Powerups - Powerups and storage items will carry over from level to level, just like Single Player.
  • Synced Respawning - Players respawn when entering a new area or when both players have died.
  • New Death Mechanic & Camera - If one player dies, their camera will snap to the other player. (Not complete yet, causes minor graphical glitches).
  • New HUD - The HUD has been updated to these new changes. The HUD is synced with the other player and will display lives.
  • Automatic Progression - There is no world map but levels will sequentially come after each other, similar to the first Super Mario Bros.
  • Game Overs - Running out of Lives will cause a black screen and players will be forced to shut down the game.
  • Disabled Single Player - This is only a Multiplayer hack.
  • Play up to World 2-T! - Mushroom houses and one or two areas have been excluded for now.

Screenshots:

Videos:

How To Play:
  • Download the following xdelta patch here and apply it to a CLEAN US ROM.
  • Select your character and connect both DS's to each other (DLP will not work).
  • Select the following settings.
  • Play!

Issues/Bugs:
    MAJOR:
  • Luigi is able to move before Boss fights. If Luigi moves before Bowser JR starts running, this can cause issues. If Luigi moves before the Giant Goomba, there are no issues. I suggest not moving until Mario is able to.
  • I recommend restarting the ROM each time you want to play. Some of the new variables I have implemented have not been coded to be reset yet. Restarting the ROM will ensure this.
  • Try avoid hitting the flag while in Mega Form. This can sometimes cause desyncing.

MINOR:
  • Missing bosses.
  • Luigi is missing some sound effects.
  • While the camera is on the other player, certain sprites will not appear and some will be messed up. Also, if the players are far away from each other and one dies, the level may appear to reload itself for the DEAD player. These are all just visual glitches and won't affect the gameplay as the dead player cannot do anything anyways.
  • The camera feature is disabled on the water level as it caused issues.
  • Pipe entering per area. I'm planning on removing this.
  • Game slowdowns. Not much I can about this as the DS just isn't that powerful. I've edited a small amount of the memory heavy levels to be less intense. I've tried my best to keep them as true to the original. I found that staying close to the other player made the game run smoother.

Special Thanks:
  •  Dirbaio (Use of his no sprite limitation ASM hack, which can be found here).
  •  skawo (Answering many of my questions & helping me with some level & menu navigation).
  •  newluigidev (Allowing me to load levels much easier with his Mario vs Luigi stage hack).
  •  StapleButter (MelonDS made testing and debugging so much easier. Amazing emulator).
  • Posted on 01-26-18, 06:59 pm
    Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
    Nice, even more progress with VS mode hacking!

Are you going to post the source code. All these changes sound interesting.
    Posted on 01-27-18, 12:27 am (rev. 1 by  HD Erick Games on 01-27-18, 12:31 am)
    Paratroopa
    Someone who speaks Portuguese

Since: 11-02-16
    You can just put 2 invisible solid tiles near the flagpole to prevent someone with mega mushroom desyncing the game (thats what i did in my nsmb race mode experiment hack)
    Posted on 01-27-18, 12:23 pm (rev. 1 by  Shadey21 on 01-27-18, 12:27 pm)
    Flurry

Posted by Hiccup
    Nice, even more progress with VS mode hacking!

Are you going to post the source code. All these changes sound interesting.

Eventually.

It's quite messy and unfinished at the moment but once I clean it up, I'll release it.

Posted by HD Erick Games
    You can just put 2 invisible solid tiles near the flagpole to prevent someone with mega mushroom desyncing the game (thats what i did in my nsmb race mode experiment hack)

True, but then those tiles can get in the player's way.

I'll look into that. It's pretty much impossible to get a mega mushroom outside of the first level anyways.
    Posted on 01-27-18, 07:58 pm
    Paratroopa

It is actually pretty easy to reach the flagpole with the mega mushroom as seen here: https://youtu.be/IX_rRIHRY0E

also, you could place the tiles here, it "never" gets on the way of the player without mega: https://prnt.sc/i6gixu
    Posted on 01-28-18, 06:39 pm
    Flurry

Posted by HD Erick Games
    It is actually pretty easy to reach the flagpole with the mega mushroom as seen here: https://youtu.be/IX_rRIHRY0E

also, you could place the tiles here, it "never" gets on the way of the player without mega: https://prnt.sc/i6gixu

It will be fixed for the next update.
    Posted on 01-30-18, 01:25 am (rev. 1 by  HD Erick Games on 01-30-18, 01:28 am)
    Paratroopa

Do you plan to fix the SP bosses to work in mvl? instead of being limited to just Goomboss and Bowser Jr.

EDIT: Im not able to patch the rom, i already tried 2 variations of NSMB USA rom and none did work.
    Posted on 01-30-18, 06:38 pm (rev. 1 by  Shadey21 on 01-30-18, 07:14 pm)
    Flurry

Posted by HD Erick Games
    Do you plan to fix the SP bosses to work in mvl? instead of being limited to just Goomboss and Bowser Jr.

EDIT: Im not able to patch the rom, i already tried 2 variations of NSMB USA rom and none did work.

Probably not. From what I remember, around half of the bosses work and I have no clue how to get the others to work.

Also my bad, I messed up the patch somehow. It should work now.
    Posted on 01-30-18, 07:47 pm (rev. 4 by  HD Erick Games on 01-30-18, 09:33 pm)
    Paratroopa

Maybe skawo/newluigidev could help you on an asm to fix them. Do you have discord?

EDIT: crash report 1-2: https://youtu.be/FTAv8UicmSo
    Posted on 01-30-18, 11:20 pm
    Flurry

Posted by HD Erick Games
    EDIT: crash report 1-2: https://youtu.be/FTAv8UicmSo

Thanks for the find, will be fixed for the next update.
    Posted on 02-15-18, 06:27 pm
    Newcomer

Since: 02-15-18
    how can you play mutltiplayer if you cant use dlp
    Posted on 02-15-18, 06:55 pm
    Administrator

Since: 06-09-12
    If both ds systems run the same rom.
    Posted on 02-16-18, 12:14 pm
    Roy Koopa
    The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
    Multi-card play is a thing that exists.
    New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth (Coming Soon!)
    My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
    Posted on 02-16-18, 11:30 pm
    Newcomer

Since: 02-15-18
    Oooooh I forgot lmao sry
    Posted on 02-18-18, 03:11 am

Since: 01-01-18
    Very interesting! There's no way I can setup this with my current materials (much less find someone else to co-op with) but this looks like a huge step in hacking! Cool!
    Posted on 03-03-18, 05:30 pm

Since: 03-03-18
    Maybe one day, there'll be a hack that works with dlp.

Although, is it just me or are the images broken?
    Posted on 03-03-18, 07:48 pm
    Pokey
    Status: Debating on whether I should be doing serious stuff or watching anime.

Since: 02-12-16
    DLP hacking already is possible. it's just much more limited.

Posted on 03-11-18, 06:53 pm
    Red Goomba
    Super Mario Maker Hacker

Since: 10-14-16
    Wow. I mean, this would be very usefull for school, as my whole class dislikes the VS stages, but rather, adore the single player. Now, in my opinion, the next step would be World 2, and then hopefully, the whole game, but I think that is rather tedious to do.
    Posted on 03-11-18, 10:05 pm
    Cobrat
    That MvL Hacker

Since: 04-11-15
    Theoretically, using the ASM he used, it’s only a matter of making the game load all the LvLs. But I don’t fully understand the code so uhh yea lol

Here's my MvL Hacking thread | Here's the MvL Community Hack!

If you hack NSMB, consider joining my Discord Server!

#HakingNoMore
    Posted on 03-16-18, 01:25 am
    Goomba
    Banned: Low post quality and rereging during tempban

Since: 03-15-18
    well this looks interesting
    Pages: 12 »