Pages: « 1234567 »
Posted on 07-10-12, 09:31 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-28-11
Posted by Hiccup
If the pipes in remaked levels lead to custom bonus rooms - then it won't really be a smb remake anymore.
Maybe you should use this method:
http://nsmbhd.net/?page=thread&pid=10295#10295

Lets say that the bonus room is a little addition. The original bonus room are there, and still have a starcoin. So I dont know...Lets say is some sort of expansion. But they are completely optional.

About using a winrar thing, I dont know, seems weird IMO.

Posted on 07-11-12, 03:57 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
Posted by gridatttack
Posted by Hiccup
If the pipes in remaked levels lead to custom bonus rooms - then it won't really be a smb remake anymore.

Lets say that the bonus room is a little addition. The original bonus room are there, and still have a starcoin. So I dont know...Lets say is some sort of expansion. But they are completely optional.

So you mean there would be a pipe in the SMB bonus room that leads to the custom bonus room?
Posted on 07-11-12, 04:58 pm
Birdo

Posted by Hiccup
Posted by gridatttack
Posted by Hiccup

So you mean there would be a pipe in the SMB bonus room that leads to the custom bonus room?

Nope. All the extra bonus room can be accessed by using another warp pipe in the main level, or as in the case with the grassy platforms levels (like in 1-3), the extra bonus room would be accessed from an invisible vine block. For castles, you will have to search for a secret passage.

Posted on 09-06-12, 07:23 pm (rev. 1 by  gridatttack on 09-06-12, 07:24 pm)
Birdo

So yeah, after finding out that some people still care for this hack (dunno if someone here too ), I decided to continue it.
I first planned to have custom areas that will hold the starcoins for every level. Now it seems that its too much work, and given how interest for this has dwindle, I decided to do some modifications to the plans.

First problem I saw with these custom levels is that it was an alternate route, since you could skip the original levels and you will be playing a new hack instead of the remake (if you wanted the starcoins).

Given that creating extra areas for the 8 world (its too much), and with the problem above, I have decided the following:

-Instead of the custom bonus areas for all worlds, I will only do the extras areas up to world 5.

This will be easy to accomplish, since I already have the first 3 worlds with extra areas (they just need polishing), and i have some levels in world 4 and 5 with extra areas. Plus, the latter levels are more complex than the first ones, so I can place the starcoins in some fun ways, and you get to play the original levels.

Also, the biggest issue I have is the loop sprite. I dont want to use warps sprites since they look bad and feel weird.

Piranhaplant already explained how the loop srites work, but I cant seem to get them work for the most part. If someone knows how to get them working, could you tell me please? I will really appreciate it

I want to finish this. Its ridiculous how much time I have dragged it.

Also, later, I will need some beta testers.

Posted on 09-06-12, 07:24 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11

This is great news
It's going to be finished!

And good luck getting the loop sprites to work
Posted on 09-06-12, 07:36 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
A hack wich will be finished.Great!!
The screens are looking realy nice
I cant wait for the release
Posted on 09-07-12, 06:25 am
Birdo

Thanks guys.
Its nice to see some people care.

So here is the deal right now. I was playing the game and noticed that I didn't have completed adding 3 levels.
This were 8-3 and A-3 from the lost levels. I have added them now. The level that is missing is the final castle. It will be the Letter worlds fourth course castles, excluding A-4 since its in 6-tower2. It means you will be playing 3 castles in one long run (I think levels B-4 and C-4 are new castles, if not, I will only use D-4).

As you see now, all levels form smb2:lost levels wont be in. This only applies to the letter worlds (A,B and C), since they reuse some levels from past worlds with little changed. (like C-3 from Lost Levels, its the same as 7-3 but with a lakitu)

I have decided to stick with the warp sprites instead of the loop sprites. I found out that the loop sprites don't work as well as they are seem in SMB1.

I should get a video of World 8 soon.

Posted on 09-13-12, 04:28 am
Birdo

So with the help of  Piranhaplant. I managed to get the loops sprite to work with the world 4 tower; 4-4 of the original super mario bros which used the loop feature.

However, as you see, the sprite doesnt work well with the level design of super mario bros, which is why some blocks disappear, but its better than using the warp sprites.

Now the challenge is to get the other levels that use the loop feature to work, since the level layout is more complex. Ill do my best to get them working.

Posted on 09-13-12, 05:53 am
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
Yep the the warp sprite would look very bad. But maymbe the loop sprite will work on other levels. Good luck !!!

Ps: Cant wait for the release!
Posted on 09-13-12, 09:22 am

I have an idea on how to make the loop sprite look better here. You could make Scroll control sprites, so when you enter the wrong path, the camera won't scroll to left anymore and you are forced to go right. This way, you cannot see the disappearing tiles.

If you make the place, where the tiles are disappearing a bit longer, you cannot see them too. Probably that would even be the better solution. If you don't know, what I am talking about, you can still send me the level file and I would try to fix it.
Posted on 09-13-12, 05:50 pm
Birdo

Posted by Mariomaster
Yep the the warp sprite would look very bad. But maymbe the loop sprite will work on other levels. Good luck !!!

Ps: Cant wait for the release!

Thanks! I also finished world 3 castle;3-3 of lost levels with the loop sprite and they worked fine
Ill get working on the other levels ASAP.

Posted by NsmB_PrO
I have an idea on how to make the loop sprite look better here. You could make Scroll control sprites, so when you enter the wrong path, the camera won't scroll to left anymore and you are forced to go right. This way, you cannot see the disappearing tiles.

If you make the place, where the tiles are disappearing a bit longer, you cannot see them too. Probably that would even be the better solution. If you don't know, what I am talking about, you can still send me the level file and I would try to fix it.

I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but this may be because I know nothing about the scroll control sprites.
Also, resizing the platform longer is a thing I thought about at first, but somehow, I ended ruining the loop sprite when I did so in 4-4, but I did resized some platforms in world 3 castle, and I reduced to the minimun the disappearing blocks, but the problem is in the level layout of the games, and they dont seem to function correctly with the loop sprite in NSMB, but sure, you can try to fix it.

Here is the level

Posted on 09-13-12, 07:54 pm (rev. 1 by  Freeze on 09-13-12, 07:55 pm)

This one should work fine. I just needed to change some blocks and now it looks great.
Posted on 09-14-12, 08:35 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
What if you just enabled the "classic" camera mode, and set the camera so it would scroll when Mario is closer to the left of the screen so the change goes unseen. The same thing you're experiencing probably happenned in the original SMB but you could never see it because it was offscreen.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 09-15-12, 02:43 am (rev. 2 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:31 am)
Birdo

Posted by MARIOFANATIC64
What if you just enabled the "classic" camera mode, and set the camera so it would scroll when Mario is closer to the left of the screen so the change goes unseen. The same thing you're experiencing probably happenned in the original SMB but you could never see it because it was offscreen.

The available beta has the scrolling you are talking about, albeit named retro scrolling. However, I had to remove it. because it feels restrictive. and some of the bonus areas conflict with it. So I had to remove it because it felt hindering.

Also, new map icons:

As you can see, the games only have 2 themes for the most part. The grassland and winter theme. So I did and went to apply the themes to the icons.

I must say, im not too happy with world 4, since its supposed to be a valley, but it has some levels with hills, so I added some low hills, and extra space. Other option was to just have the field barren with grass.

World 6 is pipe world in both games, since it has levels with lots of pipes. At first, I tired to do smaller pipes, but it wont do. I cant make small pipes, so for now, its a smb3 over world pipe.

Posted on 09-15-12, 10:14 am (rev. 1 by  JaviLuki on 09-15-12, 10:16 am)
Paragoomba

Since: 08-11-12
Icons of world maps ... This cool!

Update: This is my fiftieth post!
Posted on 09-17-12, 08:03 pm (rev. 1 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:31 am)
Birdo

I am starting to retexture the overworlds to match their theme.

Posted on 09-17-12, 09:16 pm
I am random… very random.

Since: 01-17-12
Nice texture & everything...how did you do that,I haven't been recently looking at new tutorials. Anyways,It seems everything in the overworld seems to match together.Good Job!
<Silvreus>It has been 1 month, 4 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 3 seconds since I last remember being lazy.

Posted on 09-17-12, 09:24 pm
Birdo

Posted by MK7
Nice texture & everything...how did you do that,I haven't been recently looking at new tutorials. Anyways,It seems everything in the overworld seems to match together.Good Job!

You can change the textures of a model by going onto the filesystem and then opening any .nsbmd. Then the editor will open an editing windows.
But beware, you can only import/export textures, and the quality of the textures will be lower than the image you imported (regardless on how simple the image was)

And I didn't used a tutorial to retexture everything... <_<

Posted on 09-18-12, 02:02 am
Red Goomba

Since: 09-04-12
Hm very awsome,but when you will release a beta?
Posted on 09-18-12, 02:20 am
Birdo

Posted by DreadMario175
Hm very awsome,but when you will release a beta?

I have released a beta. Its at the first post of this thread. However, its very old, but it includes the new graphics and up to world 3.

The next release will be the final release.

Pages: « 1234567 »