Pages: 1
Posted on 03-18-18, 06:57 pm
Ninji
W1 out :)

Since: 10-22-17
First of all: Sorry. I know that the title might be not the best but I can't figure out a better one

Hello everyone,

Im new into music hacking but because of my problem I've learned a ton of stuff. But my problem couldn't be fixed:
I'm a huge fan of this piece of music and i really like this vocal stuff. So I extracted this original theme with the Sequence as a MIDI-file and the bank as a dcl file. (in VGMTRans: NCS_BGM_MINIVOCAL)

Opened both in FL Studio, deleted all notes and arranged Megalovania from Undertale with this vocal sounds.
Export, put it in the ROM, didnt work.
"OK" I thought. "Maybe I did something wrong"

After many tries with no results I tried something else: I extracted the original MINIVOCAL again and replaced the classic overworld theme. Didn't work.
Replaced the overworld theme with the castle theme and some other stuff and all of them worked perfectly.
Then I tried to replace the overworld theme with the files found in NCS_BGM_PANEL and it didn't work.
I'm not sure but I think those NCS_... files are from the minigames and after testing two of them I fear that I can't use the files from there in the normal games.

Is there a way to use the minigame music as a basis for my music? Can I write "my own" bank files to make it possible that I can use my arrangement in the game with the vocal sounds? Or will I have to change my arrangement to fit with bank files from the normal .sdat file?

Greets
Posted on 03-20-18, 06:57 am
Ninji

Since: 08-17-11
Use Nitro Studio for SDAT editing, let's you edit pretty much everything freely. Also FL Studio midi exports are a bit bad and won't convert right to SSEQ so you need to open the exported midi in Anvil Studio and resave it or another similar midi editor.

My Hack (whoops link is fixed now):
http://nsmbhd.net/thread/2953-super-luigi-world-ds/
Posted on 03-20-18, 08:16 pm (rev. 1 by TheTimebreaker on 03-20-18, 10:10 pm)
Ninji

I tried around with Nitro Studio. But I wasn't able to make it work with this program : /
Everytime I used the bank files from the minigame vocal used for my arrangement I couldn't play anything. (nothing played with the wrong bank files of course)

EDIT: I watched some tutorials and was actually able to make something play in vgmtrans. I replaced the classic overworld theme with my Megalovania arrangement, replaced the bank,sequence and wave files and vgmtrans was actually playing the things. But now Ive got new problems:

1. Nitro Studio plays the song slowed down and the different parts are not synced, creating a big mess(dunno if "part" is the right word, i mean those:

2. Even if VGMTrans plays the song in the correct speed, the parts are still desynced.

3. Ingame still just silence

I slowly start to fear that there are too much notes to play for the game, causing the music to completely crash. (Is that even possible?)

Im happy about every help
Posted on 03-21-18, 03:45 pm
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
lemme ask. by "ingame" do you mean in level? while in level the sound slots that work are much more limited in size, because it has to load sounds sets and extra musics and keep it in memory.
Posted on 03-21-18, 04:10 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
In that case you could change the sound heap size if you really want that music: https://nsmbhd.net/thread/2569-misc-patches-thread/?from=640#56195

Remember tho it decreases the free ram for other stuff and your game may crash earlier when spawning many sprites.

IIRC it should work though as I remember that song being in Orengefox' NSMB music hack. Maybe he reduced the ram requirements in some way tho.
Posted on 03-21-18, 07:11 pm
Ninji

First of all: thank you both for your help
Posted by Thierry
by "ingame" do you mean in level?

Yes, thats what I mean.

So, I tested around a little more and somehow (no idea what I did different this time) music started to play in the level. But it was slowed down and the parts were still not synced. So I wanted to test the Sound Heap size asm hack to see if that solves the problem.
Couldn't test it because Im not able to ASM Hack my ROM (clean rom doesnt work either). Always get an error message.
Think Ill ask in a new thread if someone can help me with that. And when I was able to test the sound heap patch Ill return to this thread and say whether it works or not.
Posted on 03-21-18, 07:38 pm
Fuzzy
That MvL Hacker

Since: 04-11-15
You might as well keep that discussion in the same thread so you can keep everything in one thread, but each to his own I suppose.

Consider joining the NSMB DS Hacking Discord Server!

#HakingNoMore
Posted on 03-22-18, 01:14 am
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
grab your FL Studio exported MIDI and import it into Anvil Studio. from there, Export as MIDI Format 0 file. then convert to sseq and proceed.
Posted on 03-24-18, 01:34 pm (rev. 1 by TheTimebreaker on 03-24-18, 01:52 pm)
Ninji

After struggling for an hour with any combination of Thierrys advice and HEX editing like in the Music Guide (https://nsmbhd.net/thread/475-tutorial-nsmb-sound-and-music-hacking-guide/) I was finally able to insert the music playing at the right speed. In the Levels, it sounds fantastic. The only thing not working is the loop.
But still thank you so much LuigiXHero, Thierry and RicBent for helping me!
Posted on 03-24-18, 03:13 pm, deleted by RicBent: This post doesn't make any sense
Pages: 1