Posted on 08-29-16, 09:12 am
Nipper Plant

Since: 08-17-15
SM3DL? Where'd you get the midi file?
Posted on 08-29-16, 09:17 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 08-29-16, 09:18 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11

DL is in the description.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 08-31-16, 09:06 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 08-31-16, 09:07 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Time Management, Endless Earth, Clone Tag Team, etc.

In my personal life, I just got a new job! Yes, I've already mentioned quite a few times that I already have a job as a game/film reviewer, but writing doesn't exactly pay well so I've taken on a second job to earn cash while I'm still pursuing a career in writing.

This makes me quite a busy man, because between these two jobs I've also got Super Mario: Endless Earth, my Clone Tag Team remakes, and I'm also starting to move out of the NSMBDS hacking scene and into something else (you'll probably hear about that at some point).

I don't intend for Super Mario: Endless Earth to suffer from these commitments. It won't. It's a high priority for me to get-this-done. I said last month that I intend on getting at least 10% of the overworld done per month until it's done- and this month I managed to cover 15% of the overworld. I'm making great progress and the faster I can get this off my plate the sooner I can put more work in other passion projects.

What will be suffering a little is the Clone Tag Team remakes. I have been working on them and right now CTT1 is almost half complete. I haven't started on Clone Tag Team 2 at all because I'm going to use the completed CTT1 as a base for convenience. I'm sure I'll be able to get them both out, because after all these years I think I have a decent record of finishing hacks. I just don't know when they're going to be done, which is a bummer because I wanted them out before Endless Earth, and that may not happen anymore.

Just letting people know what the situation is right now.
Posted on 08-31-16, 01:04 pm (rev. 1 by Asprok on 09-02-16, 06:55 pm)
I Am Not Inteligent

Since: 03-04-14
Congratulations on your new job! And don't worry, real life stuff like this is more important because NSMB hacking, at the end of the day, is just a hobby. I know this is a high priority for you, so be careful with your time and don't stress yourself out. I hope your jobs and projects go well!
Posted on 09-02-16, 06:47 pm
Panser
I AM DERP INCARNATE

Since: 08-20-16
No new pics this week?
rip signature
Posted on 09-02-16, 06:51 pm
I Am Not Inteligent

Since: 03-04-14
Can't you read?
Posted by MarioFanatic64
Pic of the Week - Week 83

Posted on 09-02-16, 07:43 pm
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
Grats on your new job, but you said you'd be moving into something else?

NSMBU hacking?

I thought you'd just pretty much quit hacking alltogether when you said endless earth would likely be your last hack. Glad to know you will (I think? Maybe?) still be in the scene.
Posted on 09-05-16, 08:41 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 09-05-16, 08:42 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 84

There are a lot of sprites that I never got around to using in my hacks, so before I'm done with NSMBDS I want to play around with as many as I can. This is how I decided to use the pointing hands. They point to an invisible flying ? block, and to cross the chasm you'll need to jump on top of it and ride it to the other side.

If you fail and/or accidentally hit the block, you can always take an alternate route (open world, yeah!).
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 09-05-16, 09:46 am
Panser
I AM DERP INCARNATE

Posted by MarioFanatic64
Pic of the Week - Week 84

There are a lot of sprites that I never got around to using in my hacks, so before I'm done with NSMBDS I want to play around with as many as I can. This is how I decided to use the pointing hands. They point to an invisible flying ? block, and to cross the chasm you'll need to jump on top of it and ride it to the other side.

If you fail and/or accidentally hit the block, you can always take an alternate route (open world, yeah!).

Is that pit large enough that you can't just cheese it with a triple jump? And where does that pipe at the top lead?
rip signature
Posted on 09-05-16, 09:50 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

The pipe is placed so you can't get enter it if you do cheese it. Taking that pipe will give you a small reward for your efforts, and for obvious reasons it's a one-way pipe, otherwise you'd fall into oblivion just by using it.
Posted on 09-05-16, 12:02 pm
Panser
I AM DERP INCARNATE

Posted by MarioFanatic64
The pipe is placed so you can't get enter it if you do cheese it. Taking that pipe will give you a small reward for your efforts, and for obvious reasons it's a one-way pipe, otherwise you'd fall into oblivion just by using it.

But why are you allowing the player to cheese it at all if you're also gonna make an alternate path to skip it
rip signature
Posted on 09-05-16, 12:20 pm (rev. 2 by  MarioFanatic64 on 09-05-16, 12:42 pm)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

I wouldn't understand why people would choose to cheese it if you can take another route.

The invisible flying ? block has a 16 tile loop, which meant sizing the gap needs to discourage people from cheesing while giving players a fair opportunity to do it the proper way without risk of falling blindly into the pit. The gap is 12 tiles wide ultimately, allowing for the invisible block to hover over two blocks of land on each side before turning around again. Yes, it's certainly possible to jump that gap with enough speed and a good enough jump,and that's why the pipe is available only for people who don't cheese their way through.

My warning for potential cheesers is that if you hit the invisible block mid-jump, you're dead. So yeah.

If I made the gap any wider, I'd be making it less desirable to do it the intended way, thus encouraging more people to try cheesing/take a different route. tl;dr bad level design.
Posted on 09-05-16, 04:17 pm
Panser
I AM DERP INCARNATE

Posted by MarioFanatic64
I wouldn't understand why people would choose to cheese it if you can take another route.

The invisible flying ? block has a 16 tile loop, which meant sizing the gap needs to discourage people from cheesing while giving players a fair opportunity to do it the proper way without risk of falling blindly into the pit. The gap is 12 tiles wide ultimately, allowing for the invisible block to hover over two blocks of land on each side before turning around again. Yes, it's certainly possible to jump that gap with enough speed and a good enough jump,and that's why the pipe is available only for people who don't cheese their way through.

My warning for potential cheesers is that if you hit the invisible block mid-jump, you're dead. So yeah.

If I made the gap any wider, I'd be making it less desirable to do it the intended way, thus encouraging more people to try cheesing/take a different route. tl;dr bad level design.

Don't forget about Mini-mario tho
rip signature
Posted on 09-05-16, 04:26 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
He already mentioned jumping across.
Posted on 09-12-16, 11:06 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 85

I thought it'd be cool to have a room or two filled with a purple fog, so that's exactly what I did.

It's actually the poison water sprite creating the purple, I just placed a water sprite underneath it which kills its lethality.
Posted on 09-12-16, 11:25 am (rev. 1 by  MarioKart7z on 09-12-16, 11:26 am)
Panser
I AM DERP INCARNATE

Posted by MarioFanatic64
Pic of the Week - Week 85

I thought it'd be cool to have a room or two filled with a purple fog, so that's exactly what I did.

It's actually the poison water sprite creating the purple, I just placed a water sprite underneath it which kills its lethality.

If you placed a water sprite how is Mario not swimming in it?
And if you placed the water sprite underneath the poison sprite, then could Mario die by jumping high enough?
rip signature
Posted on 09-12-16, 11:43 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

The water sprite is placed underneath the view, and the poison water is placed high above. The water's presence simply nullifies the effects of the poison water.
Posted on 09-12-16, 02:30 pm
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
Posted by MarioKart7z
And if you placed the water sprite underneath the poison sprite, then could Mario die by jumping high enough?

The water sprite is placed right below the view. Not right below the poison water sprite. The player doesn't come in contact with the water, but the water's presence alone nullifies the death effect of the poison water.
Posted on 09-12-16, 03:54 pm
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
This idea is actually really cool. If I ever get out of 1-1 in a hack I might try it sometime.
Posted on 09-19-16, 12:16 pm
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 86

In this vast pit, use the coins to guide you through invisible platforms.

Are the ghosts deliberately messing with Mario by making the platforms invisible or are they trying to guide him through with the coins?