Posted on 05-05-15, 05:01 pm (rev. 2 by  WhatTheHack on 05-05-15, 05:06 pm)
Shyguy

Since: 05-03-15
Hello, MarioFanatic64, I have something I want to tell you regarding an idea I have for this hack's development. Warning, long post below!

P.S. My apologies for the long post, I will add a spoiler tag if you want.
Added spoiler tag.

There are Goombas somewhere below this footer, 'cause typing "Goombas" makes one appear!
Posted on 05-06-15, 05:29 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 05-06-15, 05:57 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Posted by WhatTheHack

New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 05-11-15, 08:19 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 17

An underwater cave area. Once again, not much to say here.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 05-11-15, 01:33 pm (rev. 1 by  Arceus on 05-11-15, 01:34 pm)
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
Posted by MarioFanatic64

I don't like it so much
The tileset looks similar to the background it's hard to see, you know.

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 05-11-15, 03:02 pm
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by Arceus
Posted by MarioFanatic64

I don't like it so much
The tileset looks similar to the background it's hard to see, you know.

I didn't know what you were talking about for a moment but I see what you mean now. Above water it's easy to tell the difference between the background and tilesets, and as for underwater areas the scrolling when the game is in motion makes it obvious.
Posted on 05-11-15, 08:43 pm
Buster Beetle
Intérieurement fou... ou juste idiot?

Since: 07-27-13
Why in the hell are Mario physics not making the water electrified :< ?

Jokes aside, the blue color of the tileset makes it fit water themed shit perfectly, bravo.
...However I don't think the "back" background (If you see what I mean) fits. I'd more like to see something closer to the NSMB underwater cave bg for this kind of area, but it's just a nitpick.
Posted on 05-12-15, 04:34 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by TheUltimateCS
Why in the hell are Mario physics not making the water electrified :< ?

Jokes aside, the blue color of the tileset makes it fit water themed shit perfectly, bravo.
...However I don't think the "back" background (If you see what I mean) fits. I'd more like to see something closer to the NSMB underwater cave bg for this kind of area, but it's just a nitpick.

Well, this is actually the regular cave area with the Water sprite in it- so if I change the background to make it watery it won't fit all the dry areas. So far, it's just this one view in the underground area that has water contained in it, so I'm not concerned about it.
Posted on 05-16-15, 02:25 pm (rev. 2 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 03:15 am)
Shyguy

Hey MF64, it is me again, WhatTheHack. I just wanted to ask a quick question about this hack; what exactly is the "Mission 1/8" display seen just before the level loads in? Is that hinting at some sort of "Missions" feature you plan to implement? Just wondering.

Here is a screenshot:

There are Goombas somewhere below this footer, 'cause typing "Goombas" makes one appear!
Posted on 05-16-15, 02:51 pm (rev. 1 by  Matthack on 05-16-15, 02:52 pm)
Banned

Since: 05-16-15
How do you've done to create this game?
;-)
Posted on 05-17-15, 12:17 am (rev. 1 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 03:15 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by WhatTheHack
Hey MF64, it is me again, WhatTheHack. I just wanted to ask a quick question about this hack; what exactly is the "Mission 1/8" display seen just before the level loads in? Is that hinting at some sort of "Missions" feature you plan to implement? Just wondering.

Here is a screenshot:

I think that's fairly self-explanatory, yeah.
Posted on 05-17-15, 12:29 am

Since: 09-16-14
when the full version is out?
Posted on 05-17-15, 08:42 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by nikos
when the full version is out?

When it's finished.
Posted on 05-18-15, 09:01 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 18

I felt that the alternate Grassland tileset needed some more variety- seemed logical to add mushrooms in a true Mario fashion. However, I already maxed out all the tileset space so I was forced to use the sprite form of them instead, which has less color detail. You'll notice that the sprite versions of the Mushrooms have the bottom portion of the top cut out a little- that's just how the game seems to present the sprite, but I'm not concerned about it since it's not all that important.

Yeah, I also noticed the red mushroom top overlapping the blue mushroom top. I'm gonna have to work on that.
Posted on 05-18-15, 11:02 am
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
Looks very nice.

RE: the layer issue, have you tried changing the order of the sprite in the "sprite list". (try the send to back/front button)
Posted on 05-22-15, 02:55 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

So the demo's been out for over a month now, and I'm happy to say that in that time I've double the amount of content that is in the demo! The overworld is now 11% complete, which means I produced about 6% of the overworld in 40 days. If I continue at this rate, I'll have the overworld complete in... 640 days... almost two years.

So, as usual, I'm behind on schedule. Release might even be as far away as 2019 at this point. But for what it's worth, this really is going to be the biggest project I've ever worked on. I'm starting to predict that there'll be almost two whole games worth of content in this one little package.

I will try to speed up production of the overworld a little more- but I don't want to rush it. I sincerely hope that your patience will be rewarded.
Posted on 05-22-15, 01:44 pm (rev. 1 by Thierry on 05-22-15, 01:44 pm)
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
Hey, you know, you don't have to do everything yourself. You could even recruit people to help you. Well it was just a idea, it's up to you to decide. But it'd most likely speed up things quite a lot.
Posted on 05-22-15, 02:15 pm (rev. 1 by  WhatTheHack on 05-22-15, 08:58 pm)
Shyguy

Posted by MarioFanatic64
If I continue at this rate, I'll have the overworld complete in... 640 days... almost two years.
I will try to speed up production of the overworld a little more- but I don't want to rush it. I sincerely hope that your patience will be rewarded.

Hey MF64, I wanted to say that I honestly don't think you should such have high expectations of yourself regarding the overworld. What I mean is, overworld editing is a largely unexplored path, and few hacks even have a custom overworld map. Know that I am not saying I doubt your ability to persevere. Rather, I'm saying that in my opinion you should not be too hard on yourself if you do not finish creating the overworld as quickly as you would have liked to.

And while I am on the topic of an overworld, I may as well ask something I am curious about; seeing as Endless Earth will have no individual "levels," exactly what application will the overworld map have in gameplay? Just curious about that.

Posted on 05-22-15, 08:07 pm
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
Posted by WhatTheHack
What I mean is, overworld editing is a largely unexplored path, and few hacks even have a custom overworld map.

1. But on the other side because it's unexplored, it's one of the ways to make your hack unique and (maybe) the easier one than ASM.

And 2.:
Posted by MarioFanatic64
So, as usual, I'm behind on schedule. Release might even be as far away as 2019 at this point.

What? Why the hell does it take you 4 years? Seriously even if it's your "lifework" I think 4 years are just insane. I don't even know if I'm (still able to) hack(ing) NSMB or play(ing) hacks...

But I wish you good luck, take all the time you need even if it's 4 years.

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 05-22-15, 11:40 pm
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by WhatTheHack
What I mean is, overworld editing is a largely unexplored path, and few hacks even have a custom overworld map. Know that I am not saying I doubt your ability to persevere.

By "overworld", I don't mean the World Maps. I mean the open-world environment that makes up most of the world in this game. I do intend on using the World Maps for something, but only very minimally.

Posted by Arceus
Posted by MarioFanatic64
So, as usual, I'm behind on schedule. Release might even be as far away as 2019 at this point.

What? Why the hell does it take you 4 years? Seriously even if it's your "lifework" I think 4 years are just insane. I don't even know if I'm (still able to) hack(ing) NSMB or play(ing) hacks...

But I wish you good luck, take all the time you need even if it's 4 years.

Well, 2 years of open-world environment development + 1 year of additional area design + refinements + bugfixing + testing= fairly close to 4 years. I never intended to make a hack that took this long to develop, but I'm hoping that it's going to be worth it.
Posted on 05-23-15, 03:37 pm (rev. 1 by  WhatTheHack on 05-25-15, 02:37 am)
Shyguy

By "overworld", I don't mean the World Maps. I mean the open-world environment that makes up most of the world in this game.
Oh, OK. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

I never intended to make a hack that took this long to develop, but I'm hoping that it's going to be worth it.
Also, I would like to say that I can understand why this might take you 4 years to complete, seeing as it is an enormous project you are undertaking. Trust me when I say I am no stranger to slow progress. I tend to take a fair while to design a single level for my Super Mario World hack. And most importantly, I am positive your efforts will be worth it in the end!