Posted on 02-24-15, 07:23 am
a

Since: 02-12-13
That NSMBDS (locked) door in the middle of the NSMBW Bowser final battle door frame....It looks a bit weird. Perhaps you could make the NSMBDS (locked) door blue-purplish and darker? But then the opened door would still clash...

Looks pretty awesome though, and awesome idea.
Posted on 02-26-15, 06:28 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Gonna ask for some suggestions here. I figured a good way to utilize the empty bottom screen space was to use the Boo animation from the Ghost Houses in some way- but they're difficult to use because of the following:

-The Boo is a symmetrical image, so any kind of replacement image also has to be symmetrical.
-It appears twice on the Bottom Screen on the left and right of the screen.
-It "flashes" by changing color.

Originally I wanted to use the Endless Earth symbol, but I already knew that wasn't possible.
Then I though about making an 'E', so it'll appear as "E E" for Endless Earth. But E isn't symmetrical so it won't work.
Finally I thought about some sort of Mario symbol. A Mushroom, Mario's Face, Fire Flower, Star, etc., but I'm still unsure because I only have one color to work with.

Any suggestions for a symmetrical image that I can use to replace the Boos on the Bottom Screen? It'd be great if I was able to take advantage of the waving arms on the Boo model, but it's not necessary.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 02-26-15, 07:42 am (rev. 1 by  MeroMero on 02-26-15, 07:51 am)
Death by cuteness

Since: 05-01-13
Luckily for you, one of the best synonyms for endless is infinite, turns out that the infinity symbol (∞) is symmetrical in nature, albeit spreads out horizontally rather than vertically.
The lack of vertical spreading can be fixed by filling the remaining space with the planet Earth's symbol, so either the female/planet Venus symbol flipped vertically (♁), or the globe with the equator and a meridian (ⴲ).

Good luck with your hack
Posted on 03-02-15, 08:48 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 9

A first look at the Desert environment, which I'm dubbing "Yoshi's Sunset Sands". I always lamented the fact that Yoshi never appeared in New Super Mario Bros., and I always wanted to do something to acknowledge him. The music that'll play in this area is a desert-style cover of the Athletic Theme from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. The tileset was actually a huge issue for me. I didn't want to re-use an asset I already used for New Super Mario Bros. 5: Clone Tag Team 2, but Desert tilesets are especially annoying for me, and damned if New Super Mario Bros. U's desert tileset wasn't just dandy. Ultimately I compromised by using the same New Super Mario Bros. U tileset but added a whole lot of extra content in comparison to the one in New Super Mario Bros. 5: Clone Tag Team 2. The background is mostly custom made and was a right pain to get to a passable NSMB quality.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 03-02-15, 10:20 am
Buster Beetle
Intérieurement fou... ou juste idiot?

Since: 07-27-13
I just love the background
And about the tileset, it didn't really need to be changed from your older hacks, it looked fine already, but that's just me. Anyway, keep up the good work
Posted on 03-02-15, 12:00 pm
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Another screenshot just 'cuz.

An update on the progress of the Bottom Screen. Thanks to  MeroMero for the idea for using the lemniscate as a replacement for the Boo image, and the rest was my idea. I had to keep it in line with the Mario series, so I added the Mushroom icon that's used as the Mario series Emblem in Smash Bros. in addition to my own little design. I gotta say, designing tribals is so easy it's practically a cop-out.
Posted on 03-03-15, 12:23 am
Giant Red Koopa

Since: 11-12-12
That looks amazing, all of it. That background is really well made, how was it done? It's very impressive. I think it would also be cool to see Yoshi play a bigger part in it, maybe a NPC? Anyway, I really like that emblem it uses the symmetry very well, it should be used as a icon for the game.
Posted on 03-03-15, 02:29 am
Red Goomba

Since: 10-25-14
M1 should be replaced with the Infinity symbol.
Posted on 03-03-15, 03:59 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by SaturnYoshi
That looks amazing, all of it. That background is really well made, how was it done? It's very impressive. I think it would also be cool to see Yoshi play a bigger part in it, maybe a NPC? Anyway, I really like that emblem it uses the symmetry very well, it should be used as a icon for the game.

The background took a lot of time and many steps to make- I wish I would have made a time lapse while making it. The Yoshi Sphinx was ripped from a background in Mario Kart: Super Circuit, and I recoloured it and re-shaded it for NSMB. The sky uses a simple gradient from red to yellow, which unfortunately didn't import into the ROM properly so I had to edit the background tile-by-tile in the 2D Texture Editor. The sand in the bottom layer was made up of a basic noise effect that I blurred to make the appearance of grainy sand.

The sand in the top layer was a long process. I drew a template for the shape of the hills. And added the shading manually. Then I made the image transparent. I found a sandy texture online and I re-sized it so it would loop perfectly for every 128x128 block. I then placed the texture behind by shaded hills I made, and to make the texture appear less repetitive I warped the texture to give it a ripple effect. Then I flattened the image, merging everything together, and made adjustments to colour and saturation until I was happy with it.

The emblem was very easy to make. The patterns I designed to compliment the Mushroom and Lemniscate only took me about 40 seconds to create, and the only setback I had importing it into the game was that the Lemniscate was slightly too big to fit in the boundaries of the Boo image, which was easily solved by slightly altering the design.
Posted on 03-03-15, 01:01 pm
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
The NSMBU tileset's slopes won't connect correctly to regular ground tiles. What rip did you use?

The emblem is very good, but unlike the rest, the mushroom's stalk isn't much round. I'd suggest you to roundish it a bit this way:

I agree this is just a small pixel difference tough.
Posted on 03-03-15, 03:03 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
The one on the left, looks a bit happier than the one on the on the right. Maybe they could be combined .
Posted on 03-03-15, 03:28 pm (rev. 2 by Thierry on 03-03-15, 03:42 pm)
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
I agree with that.

Also, this way?

Edit: This might be slightly better than the previous one..

Now I will wait for  MarioFanatic64's mind about roundishing the shroom.
Posted on 03-03-15, 03:34 pm
Birdo

I think that looks fine.
Posted on 03-04-15, 11:28 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

I'm fine with rounding out the mushrooms. When I made the original image it was the middle of the night and I just scaled down the emblem from Smash Bros. and I don't think I cleaned it up very well. I can do better.
Posted on 03-07-15, 08:25 pm (rev. 1 by  Lite Dash on 03-14-15, 09:28 pm)
Newcomer

Since: 03-07-15
An open world 2D Mario game... I've seen everything now. Very original, can't wait for the release!

Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Best Character: Little Mac

>igotsweg
Posted on 03-09-15, 08:33 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 03-09-15, 08:38 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 10

Rest assured, this is a tentative background. Since the image was taken the background has been altered to produce a night time effect, which I think works best for Snow areas. You may notice that this is the first time I've ever made use of the zoom sprite. I wasn't going to use it originally, but there was a problem in the testing phase which made most of the jumps in this particular spot blind. Even with the zoom sprite, this is still a rather challenging point of interest. Mario better watch out!

EDIT: Also, ever notice that in many of my posted screenshots Mario's walking left? What's up with that?
Posted on 03-09-15, 03:16 pm (rev. 1 by  Hiccup on 03-09-15, 03:16 pm)
Birdo

I guess that because it is open world, sections go from right to left, as well as left to right. Also, maybe Mario is backtracking
Posted on 03-16-15, 08:04 am (rev. 2 by  MarioFanatic64 on 03-16-15, 11:43 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 11

Looks like Mario's traveled so far he's scaling mountains! In this area, you'll come across Bullet Bills, Whomps, Mushrooms, Spinies, and more! I first used this background in Bugfix v1.2 of my second hack, New Super Mario Bros. 5: Clone Tag Team, so I thought it would be alright to bring it back, however it wasn't my original choice. I wanted the mountains background from New Super Mario Bros. Wii but I couldn't find a good enough background rip. You'll notice that in this version of the background, the sky has been recoloured aqua-green, in an attempt to differentiate it from Clone Tag Team's.

By the way, we're getting ever closer to the demo release! I have officially finished all of the map that there is to tread in the demo. There's a total of 106 screens of the overworld to explore, which equates of only 5.2% of the full overworld, and that's not including all the areas that aren't even part of the overworld! I'd say that this is only about 3% of the content that will be in the full game, but that's just an estimation. I can't release the demo yet. There's still a few hurdles to overcome before it's ready- but it's time I gave a real update.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll be uploading a complete playthrough video of the demo when it's released to showcase the open world concept. I'm hoping it'll make things more clear to people who haven't fully grasped the concept yet.
Posted on 03-23-15, 10:42 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Pic of the Week - Week 12

Since we've all been so talkative around here, have something else to fuel the conversation. The Snow background has been edited to take place at night now- I think it fits better for snow levels to take place at night. Daytime snow levels are too bright, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's all I've got this week.
Posted on 03-23-15, 08:51 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
IMO your level looks pretty nice I really like the colors of your bg.

But your tileset has an a bit low quality. The edges look a bit like cut out of paper with these white edges. Also the clouds in the bg are too blue. IMO you should make them a bit brighter.

But overall this looks really nice