Posted on 02-24-14, 03:09 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Posted by KingYoshi
Are you going to make a underwater level with clones?
Or would that be very glitchy?

Underwater levels with Clones are hard. Mainly because of the altered physics.

The thing is, if you bump into the Clone at all it will be knocked away as in Mario vs. Luigi, this is problematic for underwater levels because they'll keep falling until they fall into a pit or land somewhere, in which case they keep sliding for about 5 seconds which makes them highly vulnerable to enemies and sliding into pits.

I have given it a shot though. 6-2 is an underwater Clone level, and will probably be the only one in the game. I'm still deciding whether or not to remove the Clone from that level.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 02-24-14, 11:18 am
Death by cuteness

Since: 05-01-13
I remember the level 6-5 in Clone Tag Team 1, it was quite infuriating lol.

But hey you could always make the underwater level so that there is no bottomless pits, IIRC in NSMB2 the underwater part of level 4-5 is configured as such.

Also, this is an observation I made but I think having clones and a checkpoint flag in a given level kind of defeats the purpose of the clones in the first place, it's tempting to lose a life on purpose once you reached the checkpoint just so you don't have to handle the clone again.
I'm not lying I'm guilty of that, I did that almost systematically when a level was too hard (I'm looking at you 3-A…).

Yeah I think you should get rid of checkpoints in those levels, so that the player has to reach the goal the way you intented us to.
Posted on 02-25-14, 04:30 am (rev. 3 by  MarioFanatic64 on 02-25-14, 07:38 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by Sharks
I remember the level 6-5 in Clone Tag Team 1, it was quite infuriating lol.

But hey you could always make the underwater level so that there is no bottomless pits, IIRC in NSMB2 the underwater part of level 4-5 is configured as such.

Also, this is an observation I made but I think having clones and a checkpoint flag in a given level kind of defeats the purpose of the clones in the first place, it's tempting to lose a life on purpose once you reached the checkpoint just so you don't have to handle the clone again.
I'm not lying I'm guilty of that, I did that almost systematically when a level was too hard (I'm looking at you 3-A…).

Yeah I think you should get rid of checkpoints in those levels, so that the player has to reach the goal the way you intented us to.

That is deliberate.

My philosophy about that is that if someone dies with the Clone, to give them a chance without the Clone. If they can't complete the level with the Clone and there is no checkpoint, they won't be able to finish the level, so I keep the checkpoints.

Clone Tag Team 2 will have more emphasis on things requiring the Clone's assistance after the mid-way flag, in fact there are a few levels where the Clone doesn't spawn until the checkpoint. I want the Clone to be seen as an added challenge and not as a condition which must be struggled through to advance.

EDIT: I made a thing:

New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 02-27-14, 11:53 am (rev. 1 by  MarioFanatic64 on 03-05-14, 03:45 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Well, this is curious.

So get this, I've found a background glitch but I'm rather certain this is new.

Levels 3-A and 4-2 both have an "empty" Top BG, and the Bottom BG is a background from the original game which I have not modified. This is the only connection between these two levels.

However, for both of these levels the background will appear completely black only if I enter a Tower or Castle level beforehand. Otherwise the backgrounds are completely unaffected and there is no glitch.

By quitting to the Main Menu and re-entering the same save file the glitch will disappear, but it will come back if you go to a Tower/Castle level and revisit 3-A or 4-2.

I'll make enquiries into this strange occurrence but I won't make any guarantees that it will be fixed. It is only 3-A and 4-2 that is affected by this glitch, and only if this certain criteria is met. Additionally as it is a graphical issue it does not alter the gameplay at all so it's only a minor glitch.

EDIT: The glitch has been fixed. I'm also predicting an August-October release window.
Posted on 03-07-14, 06:48 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

World 5-2: Cold Clone Chaos is nearing completion. This will probably be the last level I make before my University break ends as of Monday.

But I have reached my goal of getting the hack between %60-70 done within that timeframe.

Provided I can still reserve personal time, I'll still be working on Clone Tag Team 2 actively. Again, I'm expecting the release to be between August-October.
Posted on 03-16-14, 07:23 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

I feel like I'm the only one ever posting in this thread, and that's only for updates.

So, to try and re-generate activity on the board I'm gonna release some screenies.

Presenting a screenshot of every level in World 1 of Clone Tag Team 2. Most of these may look familiar but do not worry- there is much more variety in level design and graphics than I'm letting on.

As for real updates, 5-Tower "Slippery Slope Tower" is finished and I've started work on 5-4 "Snowfall Woods".
Posted on 03-16-14, 09:16 am (rev. 1 by  Hiccup on 03-16-14, 09:16 am)
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
So, how did you fix the glitch?
Posted on 03-16-14, 10:27 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by Hiccup
So, how did you fix the glitch?

You mean the background glitch? It was nothing really.

There was something corrupted with one particular BG slot. I just used one of my spare BG slots to replace the corrupted ones, and then just changed the slot in each level separately.
Posted on 03-16-14, 10:33 am
Mole
Normal gamer, retired hacker

Since: 05-03-13
The Screenshot's looks amazing. Most of them i like is 1-1 and 1-Castle. And how did you get that Peach's Castle Tileset?
Posted on 03-16-14, 10:35 am
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
So here´s my feedback:
Screenshot 1 looks like a normal grassland level but I really like the backgrounds in this hack. For example in screenshot 2 the bg gives a cool atmosphere to the level. The tower looks cool at all but the tileset is a bit weird for me. It looks to rusty if you know what I mean. The rest is cool also especially the underwater level(s). All in all I think we all cannot wait for the full release of this hack.

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 03-17-14, 12:13 am
Shyguy

Since: 10-06-13

One promble. I don't like how the spike balls open the "Clone" blocks when i press left the clone dies.
Posted on 03-17-14, 01:35 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by Izmirnator
The Screenshot's looks amazing. Most of them i like is 1-1 and 1-Castle. And how did you get that Peach's Castle Tileset?

I got the base of the tileset from the NSMBW File Depot (with full credit to the original maker, obviously). I also ripped various textures from Super Mario 64 to use as scenery. I'm using a custom palette-swap of this tileset for the World 2 Castle, which is Princess Daisy's Castle.

The background is just the standard Toad House background that I edited slightly.

Posted by Arceus
So here´s my feedback:
Screenshot 1 looks like a normal grassland level but I really like the backgrounds in this hack. For example in screenshot 2 the bg gives a cool atmosphere to the level. The tower looks cool at all but the tileset is a bit weird for me. It looks to rusty if you know what I mean. The rest is cool also especially the underwater level(s). All in all I think we all cannot wait for the full release of this hack.

I was thinking the same thing about the Tower tileset. It's supposed to be a modernization of Super Mario World's Castle Tileset but I couldn't get it to fit in right, so I tried to give it a gritty look. Now it's too gritty.

Posted by jakob
One promble. I don't like how the spike balls open the "Clone" blocks when i press left the clone dies.

I don't like that either. But it's something I can't really stop. I guess I could try placing a solid block in the bottom-right corner where the Spike Ball is located but I'm not sure whether it might cause the Spike Ball to "push" through the rest of the wall until it finds and empty space.

I'll give it a try though.
Posted on 03-17-14, 03:49 pm
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
What about making a zone which destroys the block if Mario enters it (the zone not the block)?

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 03-17-14, 09:51 pm (rev. 3 by  MarioFanatic64 on 03-18-14, 08:17 am)
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

It might be tricky to get it working because the flying ? block is moving. But I can give it a try.

Here's another update, a little teaser video this time for World 7-A:

55 levels done, one more and the hack reaches %70.

I told you things would speed along. This may be the first time I release the hack before the deadline I set.
Posted on 03-18-14, 10:29 am
Death by cuteness

Since: 05-01-13
There's a way to prevent the clone from dying by mistake :

_Set the flying block "loop type" as "Stay in place"
_Find a sprite that mimics the solid on top behavior (Sprites 68 and 69 do the job perfectly)
Screenshot above shows the pattern you have to follow so that the flying block will eventually fly low enough for the spiked ball to break it, but not high enough for (the original) Mario to ground pound it.

But there's a catch, it works on (E) ROM, but concerning the (U) version… just watch the video :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hz2q5
Posted on 03-18-14, 10:48 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Posted by Sharks
There's a way to prevent the clone from dying by mistake :

_Set the flying block "loop type" as "Stay in place"
_Find a sprite that mimics the solid on top behavior (Sprites 68 and 69 do the job perfectly)
Screenshot above shows the pattern you have to follow so that the flying block will eventually fly low enough for the spiked ball to break it, but not high enough for (the original) Mario to ground pound it.

But there's a catch, it works on (E) ROM, but concerning the (U) version… just watch the video :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hz2q5

That's a shame, because I'm using the (U) version. It would be too much of a pain to import/export everything to a new rom.

I will be using an (E) rom for future hacks though.
Posted on 03-21-14, 09:24 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

If anybody's interested, I've updated the wordpress site for Clone Tag Team 2.

Just cleaning things up a bit, adding some new info, etc. You can check it out here.
Posted on 03-23-14, 02:42 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

It appears that my one and only beta tester  STORMENT is inactive or dead.

This is a problem. Something has to be done...
Posted on 03-23-14, 04:02 am (rev. 1 by  CreativiPie on 03-23-14, 04:02 am)
Pokey
me some orange juice my hand

Since: 09-24-12
I don't mind beta-testing in is place, as long as you send me an already patched ROM in private messages since I can't get the editor to work.

blarg mac
Posted on 03-23-14, 06:13 am
Buzzy Beetle
Just watching...

I'm back and ready to work, i already sent you a pm and I'll be glad to keep helping you as a beta tester (if you still want me to).

BTW i didn't know i was your only beta tester