Pages: 1
Posted on 10-04-21, 06:49 pm
an immature loser otaku weeaboo gamer that tries to hack but is the worst at it

Since: 12-03-15
Heyo, and I'd like to apologize for my lack of experience. I hope my question isn't very annoying, oof, but considering my lack of experience and me kinda being a noob sort of, I am having trouble with something I need to ask about, lol...

So a while back I have figured out finally how to make my own nsbmds (it's funny looking back at the fact I asked how do I convert DAE to NSBMD a while back here I didn't even remember that I asked that, lol) Blender Nitro Plugins to create IMD models that I convert into NSBMD with C3DCVTR. And a few months back I had made a Larry Koopa mod in Mario Kart DS (although I have not published it yet since I want to release him alongside all seven Koopalings perhaps, is my idea, releasing an all Koopalings mod, it is Larry Koopa over Toad due to Toad's light weight in Mario Kart being similar to Larry's in Mario Kart 8) but I always wanted to make a playable Larry Koopa in New Super Mario Bros DS, like I did Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS and Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World. I decided to do Mario Kart DS instead a few months ago because I was having setbacks with NSMBDS, however, I think I might be ready. I think it is finally possible for me to pull it off now, however, I have a few issues including boning the body. I had to make custom animations entirely for the Mario Kart DS mod, but I'll get into the body model later, the head is my focus and is the more important part right now though because that crashes the game if he turns small.

So I've looked into threads on this site asking about merging the head models, and a lot of what people simply reply with about merging NSBMDs is just "You can't merge NSBMDs but you can merge IMDs into one NSBMD with C3DCVTR" but the issue is that they don't really specify how I merge IMDs into one NSBMD with C3DCVTR. I've tried dragging and dropping both my IMDs for normal Larry head and small Larry head, and it does nothing, but if I drag and drop just one of them it creates an NSBMD for just that one. I wouldn't really be surprised, however, if I'm supposed to have some kind of batch file for that and people just, don't really provide it, lol, because when I was in the process of modding playable Larry Koopa into Mario Kart DS, there were things I was having issues with and it turned out I needed a specific batch file that was not provided anywhere and someone sent me the batch file that I needed and then it worked out. If I remember correctly, I suggested that the people on the MKDS modding discord server pin those messages in order to make it easier and much more convenient both for people starting out with model importing characters in MKDS and so they don't have to explain to anyone again when noobs don't know what to do when they are starting out and wanting to make a character mod for Mario Kart DS, and I think they pinned the messages, lol. But I guess the question is do I need some kind of batch file that didn't come with C3DCVTR for merging IMDs together? Or how specifically do I merge IMD models into one NSBMD with C3DCVTR? I looked through the help batch file for C3DCVTR and didn't really find anything that looked like it was talking about converting two IMDs at once into one NSBMD. I tried google searching it and trying to figure out anyway to do it and I just find threads where people ask about merging the models and they're simply told they can merge two IMD models together into one NSBMD with C3DCVTR if they have IMD models for the heads they want to put over Mario's head.
Posted on 10-04-21, 07:02 pm
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Since: 08-07-17
I only skimmed through this but I'm guessing you're just trying to merge to IMDs into a NSBMD.
This should hopefully help with that.
Posted on 10-04-21, 07:14 pm (rev. 3 by LarryKoopaIsAwesome on 10-04-21, 07:20 pm)

Posted by Keeper
I only skimmed through this but I'm guessing you're just trying to merge to IMDs into a NSBMD.
This should hopefully help with that.

Is this "G3dcvtr.exe model1.imd model2.imd -o output.nsbmd" what I was supposed to be looking for? I apologize for being, kinda dumb, but I still don't get it. Do I write that into notepad and then export it as a batch file and drag and drop the two imds into C3DCVTR? Or double click the batch file I make to make the nsbmd with two imds in it? Or how do I put that to use with my two models? And I suppose if that is for making a batch file that I would change it into "G3dcvtr.exe LarryHead.imd SmallHead.imd -o output.nsbmd" or something like that? Again, sorry for my inexperience, oof...

EDIT: I looked at how run.bat looks on Kuppa Script (a tool I use a lot for cutscenes in my current main project, which is an SM64DS hack, Kuppa Script is for SM64DS cutscenes) and Yeah, I think I get it now, lol
Posted on 10-04-21, 07:20 pm
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

It's what you put into the command prompt. I don't use a batch file to do it but I dont see why it wouldn't work. And yeah, the file names would be the ones you wanna merge, and you can change the name of the output file too. Dunno which IMD should be listed first, though.
Posted on 10-04-21, 07:28 pm (rev. 2 by LarryKoopaIsAwesome on 10-04-21, 07:47 pm)

I did it! I merged the IMD Larry head models into one! Thanks for showing me that!

Now to make it easier on anyone in the future, to merge two IMD models into one NSBMD model:

- Go into notepad or any text editor and paste "G3dcvtr.exe model1.imd model2.imd -o output.nsbmd" (changing the model names to whichever the model names you want to merge are, and output name can be anything)
- Select "All Files" so that it won't export as a different file extension by default, and export it as a batch file (with any name, I went with "imdmerge.bat") in the same folder as C3DCVTR.exe and your imd models
- Double click imdmerge.bat (or whatever you called the batch file) and then ya got two models in one nsbmd

And that's a, I guess as detailed and easy to understand all in one place as I can make it, lol

And by the way

Here's how he looks when he turns small so far. The body still needs to be edited, lol, and I want to ASM hack the game so that the player has the shell power up at all times even when they're small, but I will do that later, lol, I will probably replace the shell power up with Larry's actual shell, and then all that would need to be changed would be his body model, but I heard that replacing the body model in NSMBDS is like, really really hard, and people barely do it, oof...
Posted on 10-04-21, 08:44 pm
Giant Red Paratroopa
Not Edible

Since: 02-12-16
People barely edit character models (or models in general, really) for this game, because there's still this weird misconception that editing NSMB models is really difficult when it in fact isn't really any different from any other NSBMD game. Editing the body model's probably gonna be a bit harder, but it should still be totally doable.

Posted on 10-04-21, 08:57 pm

Posted by poudink
People barely edit character models (or models in general, really) for this game, because there's still this weird misconception that editing NSMB models is really difficult when it in fact isn't really any different from any other NSBMD game. Editing the body model's probably gonna be a bit harder, but it should still be totally doable.

I always imagine it's definitely doable. Only issue I have with trying is that, while I can replace the model of the body, the model does not animate the way it should, like, at all, oof. So when I did Larry in Mario Kart DS, I had to give him entirely custom animations, but with this game, I don't think I can do the same thing since there is a whole lot more animations in this game for Mario than there are for Mario Kart DS characters, so I really do gotta figure out how to import the model of the body without it having extremely weird animation where limbs are all over the place and the bones are not animating the right way.

Personally I'm just having difficulty because I can't get the bones to work properly on existing animations, which is frustrating...
Posted on 10-04-21, 09:08 pm
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Glad somebody's actually gotten around to messing with Mario's model cause it's always seemed quite straightforward to do. Does anything weird happen with it when Mario dies or gets a star?
Posted on 10-04-21, 09:27 pm (rev. 2 by LarryKoopaIsAwesome on 10-04-21, 09:58 pm)

Posted by Keeper
Glad somebody's actually gotten around to messing with Mario's model cause it's always seemed quite straightforward to do. Does anything weird happen with it when Mario dies or gets a star?

My first attempt was before I knew about NNS Material options with the IMD blender plugin, and I think I used SM64DS body model's bones since they read the same when I was able to view the names of the bones at one point. I don't remember where my first attempt was, but I'm gonna do another attempt and see how it'll look in game, but when I try any boned model, the bones become weird, so it'll probably have extremely weird animation or something, lol. I think I only viewed the intro because it looked really bad, but I'll test to see what it looks like when I try other things in the game such as getting the star or dying.

EDIT: So I tried replacing the body again and it did the same weird thing with the bones. Here's what it looks like - https://drive.google.com/file/d/134-VyL_Jkf_3ooGPEiCWg26WU5aI3B_y/view?usp=sharing (Still processing on Google Drive as of editing this reply but I hope it will be done with processing at some point soon enough)
Pages: 1