Pages: 1
Posted on 11-20-19, 04:38 am (rev. 1 by  Ndymario on 11-20-19, 04:39 am)
Fuzzy
That MvL Hacker

Since: 04-11-15
If you're out of the loop, the FTC (The US Federal Trade Commission) recently finned YouTube for not complying with COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). What does this mean for you? YouTube (starting in 2020) will require you to mark if your content is made for children. This is so content, not suitable for children, will not be shown to children. This also makes it so that there are no targeted ads and no comments. Now this, in theory, is a good idea. But the problem comes with how vague the wording is. A snippet from YouTube's page on determining if your content is made for kids states that "Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures."

Now for someone like me, who uses Mario in 95% of his videos, and has his avatar be a Mario OC, this is bad.

If your content is even remotely kid-friendly, you're screwed.

Granted, YouTube for me is just a way to show off NSMB Hacking (as I am nowhere near the requirements to get monetized), but if you don't mark your videos correctly, you'll be fined a big charge for essentially breaking the law. The problem is then that when you set your video as "made for kids", your video is basically never going to make ad revenue, and your video is never in the recommended feed. Meaning that the only way for someone to watch your videos is to either a) manually find it, or b) be subscribed (and we all know subscriptions don't work so...).

So, my channel is basically screwed if this isn't refined

I wanted to post this to get other's opinions on this.

Consider joining the NSMB DS Hacking Discord Server!

#HakingNoMore
Posted on 11-20-19, 03:03 pm
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
Same here. I mostly share mario hacks and that's it. I have it set to not made for kids, but kids can watch it. It's clean stuff. But I have a couple videos made for adults which kids SHOULDN'T watch. Luckily, those aren't made up of family friendly characters.

EVERYONE SWITCH TO DAILYMOTION OR VIMEO

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 11-20-19, 05:31 pm
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
Posted by Skylander
EVERYONE SWITCH TO DAILYMOTION OR VIMEO

It's not just Youtube you know that right?
Every site will have to comply by these new rules

COPPA in theory is good but the new regulations they're setting in place now will fuck up the entire internet

It's a lot to explain but there's been good coverage about it floating around from actual lawyers if you have questions about it
Posted on 11-21-19, 12:41 am
Fire Brother
Eugene

Since: 11-29-11
Nahh COPPA is shit. It's only made because of parents that don't know how to look after their little kids. They keep them busy by giving them a phone at a very young age and then complain there's child unfriendly stuff on YouTube.

O, and by the way, this "YouTube Kids" app was launched months ago. Why isn't that enough? Stupid new law...

Anyway, I'm gonna miss the comment section most.
Posted on 11-21-19, 03:56 pm (rev. 1 by  Ndymario on 11-21-19, 03:57 pm)
Fuzzy
That MvL Hacker

Since: 04-11-15
Posted by KingYoshi
Nahh COPPA is shit. It's only made because of parents that don't know how to look after their little kids.

That's not entirely true. It was created so that website owners can't collect private information on kids. This is a very good law, but this recent amendment is what is screwing everything up. You can thank child activists who are screaming "pRoTeCt ThE ChIlDrEn". They caused the FTC to amend the law early because the law gets amended every 10 years.

Boomers smh

Consider joining the NSMB DS Hacking Discord Server!

#HakingNoMore
Posted on 11-22-19, 02:12 am
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
In an unsurprising surprising plot twist it turns out Youtube is still the worst site on the planet

Posted on 11-22-19, 09:20 am
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
that's why we need an alternative that doesn't die after one year or so

or just do it the old way and upload video files somewhere

this whole shit is getting bad for the internet as a whole. soon enough it'll be Googlenet and anything else can just rot in the deep abyss.

zrghij
Posted on 11-22-19, 05:34 pm
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
RIP Youtube
RIP My channel
RIP my Sanity

RIP SuperMarioLogan

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 11-25-19, 04:16 am
Red Koopa

Since: 06-19-17
I saw this video and I feel like the problem is a lot less dangerous than we thought, so I think we're safe. It's not like children are watching 2004 mario ds hacks. My channel is still at risk (animation channel) but I think I'm fine because its pretty small and only my friends watch it pretty much. I think that should be the same for most of you all too.

Pages: 1