Pages: 123 »
Posted on 12-03-18, 03:51 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
Today my Discord account was entirely disabled for violating their TOS.

I was not aware of anything I did that violated their TOS. But I slowly discovered what happened:
A server I was on made some raid in which they changed their avatar and usernames all tho the same thing. I did not take part in that raid. In fact I did not post a single message on that server in weeks. But someone simply reported every single person on that server which resulted in most of them being banned including me. The mail clearly states that a REAL human looked into the thing and confirmed that I did something wrong. Seriously, that is entirely stupid, unacceptable and shameful, especially when multiple people that are entirely innocent are hit including for example shibboleet who additionally owns Discord Nitro.
If Discord does not come back to this and reenables my account in a reasonable timespan (I contacted them on their homepage and on Twitter) I will abandon it. I don't want to have my communication rely on a service that nukes my account randomly.

#IrcForever
Posted on 12-03-18, 03:58 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
discord is bad, film at eleven

zrghij
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:01 pm (rev. 1 by  snake block on 12-03-18, 04:03 pm)
a

Since: 02-12-13
Oh, let me guess, was it allthefoxes? They're the head of Trust & Safety for Discord. They're also an absolute ban-happy cunt. The slightest suspicion of anything, and you're terminated.

I recall that somebody was banned for saying something negative about furries once, by him.
He also banned one of my friends because they jokingly said that they were 8 months ago, along with a host of other people I know who got banned for unfair reasons by this one guy.

He's basically a ticking time bomb of a staff member. It sucks.

EDIT: See this.
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:03 pm
Mole
Normal user

Since: 07-08-12
Damn straight. Apparently changing your name and avatar in the server alone, yet not taking any part in the raids (and even saying "hey maybe this is going too far") is bannable. Bullshit.
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:10 pm
Mariomaster

The fact that I didn't even look into the server for weeks is even better.
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:11 pm
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
I have used Discord a long time ago for Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Multiplayer groups, but I really hated it. Plus, I got made fun of by others alot and there was alot of cussing and swearing. It was very inappropriate. There was no need for that kind of behavior, and Discord doesn't do anything about these things.

And what I hate is when you want to delete an account, but can't, is because you have to wait I believe. Not sure because it was 2 years ago

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:15 pm
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
Discord nukes your logs if you're not unbanned within two days IIRC. nor do they take any requests to get your logs back before they're deleted. not that I'm aware of.

allthefoxes is a ticking timebomb in power. since he takes any "report" of misconduct without a second thought, he's extremely exploitable by haters acting like a teacher's pet. especially when they go to ridiculous lenghts like pointing at innocent users who're just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

this makes me not want to be in servers I never check. the discord staff is not responsive at all.
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:15 pm
a

Since: 02-12-13
I'm extremely fed up with Discord in general. I've been coming to know a lot about the staff members (due to having been in a server that's closely affiliated with them).

For example, there's staff members that immediately nuke your whole account if you even ping them once. They also go on drunken account nuking sprees.
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:27 pm
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
they have successfully become one of the internet giants that isolate themselves from all direct contact, yet still attracts more and more people to join despite thier wrongdoings and shady ways (can elaborate on that if somebody cares).
Posted on 12-03-18, 04:46 pm
☭ coffee and cream

feature creep is how you achieve it. look cool and modern and offer every feature ever.

then you can become a multinational behemoth and take over everything.

it's like Google services, where all your complaints/requests/etc are answered by a bot. still not satisfied? your only choices become 'revolution' or 'give up'.

zrghij
Posted on 12-03-18, 05:07 pm (rev. 1 by  Skylander on 12-03-18, 05:23 pm)
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
What I hate the most in some multiplayer games, (Open Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Multiplayer for example) is that you just want to play on public servers, yet, most of them require Discord. If you don't, they don't grant you the permissions to play with them. It's that way for most games unfortunately.

Now, in one way I do understand it, is because it helps prevents trolls who come on and Destroy the park, or building coasters that kill people, or just trolling in general. But still, there are admins actually on the game ready to kick these trolls or mute them completely.

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 12-03-18, 06:19 pm (rev. 1 by  Arisotura on 12-03-18, 06:20 pm)
☭ coffee and cream

Discord to keep trolls out sounds like a big fat excuse

'they paid us to push Discord but we couldn't think of a good pretext'

zrghij
Posted on 12-03-18, 08:19 pm
Flurry

Since: 12-29-16
I heard what happened. I had no clue that the Discord staff was this incompetent. I hope this gets resolved, and quick.
Posted on 12-03-18, 08:26 pm
Not a hacker

Since: 04-05-16
Never had issues with Discord, TBH. I also received a pack of stickers from them as a reward for hunting bugs for them.

I have heard multiple times of abuse from staff members. Even worse, I reported people for raiding, and what?
Posted by A bot
Hi MoonlightCapital, thanks for reporting this, we'll start investigation... etc, cheers, [employee' s nickname]

Then silence.

They don't even disclose action taken for "privacy reason". Seriously.

Discord doesn't add features to enhance its own existing functionality, instead it decides to waste time on game stores etc completely ignoring what people truly want. I'm disappointed.

I'm saying all of this because I hang out in a few official servers, so I know what I'm saying.
Posted on 12-03-18, 09:24 pm
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
Discord is a good idea filled with shitty people and shady buisness practices.

And saying "It's a good idea" is being generous.
Posted on 12-04-18, 04:01 am
Red Goomba
Super Mario Maker Hacker

Since: 10-14-16
Posted by RicBent
especially when multiple people that are entirely innocent are hit including for example shibboleet who additionally owns Discord Nitro.
I mean, he did change his name and avatar so it did look like he was part of the raid. Though, clearly discord doesn't have any intelligence because if they really did take a look, they would see that not only shibbo is innocent but RicBent as well.

This is the most unjust thing I've ever seen, and would be glad to see someone make a discord clone that can be self-hostable. If the whole situation doesn't get resolved, I think I'll be leaving discord. Like, who says that they won't do this to me?

Posted by SnakeBlock
For example, there's staff members that immediately nuke your whole account if you even ping them once.
This is going too far. If you don't want pings, don't implement it. It's that simple.

Plus, not to mention, here's an announcement noirscape made on the FreeShop discord server:
@everyone - hey guys. Sorry for the ping so early in the morning, but this is really important for your safety if you live in the United States.

In the new Discord TOS Update, they **added an arbitration clause in it** that evoked your right to sue Discord (you must go through an arbitrator) and to congregate as a class action lawsuit.

While you can find the exact clauses in the gist below, what you _should_ be doing right __***now***__ is sending an email to `arbitration-opt-out@discord.com` from the _registered email on your discord account_, saying you want to opt-out. I'd also recommend including your username/discriminator and ID in the email. Deleting your account will not opt you out of these terms

__Why does this matter?__

Without the ability to congregate for a class action lawsuit, if Discord ever leaks your data or does something catastrophically bad to a large portion of the population you have no way to representatively sue together without each of you individually suing via the arbitrator.

__Why should I care? Other companies do it too!__

By learning about this I hope that you will be more conscious about these arbitration clauses and how anti-consumer they are. You can't change the past, but you surely can't predict the future either.

**Exact clauses:** <https://gist.github.com/Rapptz/c93697c9d59ec2f0d8071b7d0e907632> (credits to Rapptz/Danny from discord.py)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in #general
The fact that you can't sue them (without an arbitrator) is nonsense, especially considering they're the ones that fucked up.

I've had my own fair share of bullshit with discord too. My numerous bug reports were invalidated because "they're Windows 7 exclusive". In fact, they're the reason I upgraded to W10 in the first place: to avoid some of the bugs I had.

I have some more things to rant about, but I can't remember at this point. I'll update my post later
Posted on 12-04-18, 10:54 pm
Mariomaster

https://twitter.com/ricbent_/status/1070087911608074240

They "investigated" it and came to the conclusion that executing mass punishments for being on a server where some people messed up is fine.
Embarassing.
Posted on 12-04-18, 11:37 pm
Admin

Since: 02-04-17
https://twitter.com/naknow_/status/1070091568332234753

You're not alone, Bent.
You're not alone.
Posted on 12-04-18, 11:47 pm
Red Goomba
Super Mario Maker Hacker

Since: 10-14-16
Welp, shibbo got an unban.
Apparently, they found him fine but not RicBent?

That's crossed the line.
Posted on 12-05-18, 06:20 am
Not a hacker

Since: 04-05-16
@ Nightyoshi370, the "you can't sue Discord" started from the fact that they added the game store, and some company would have found a way to sue them just for the easiness of something I don't remember. Discord users can still opt out without any penatly, because it's our right to sue them in case something goes wrong, and legal action needs to be taken.