Pages: 123 »
Posted on 09-09-14, 10:36 am (rev. 11 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 03:05 am)

Since: 02-27-14
Playing around with sprites and their settings, I tried to use Toadsworth in a tower level. While changing his animation to "Background chooser" so that we wouldn't block the entire level, and I noticed that there was also another setting called "Unused".

I wanted to see how did it work, so I changed the setting to "Unused" instead. I started the ROM, stumbled into 1-Tower and here's what happened...

This bug only makes you exit from the level and return to the overworld, but sadly it doesn't mark the level as finished. Theorically this is the thing that makes you exit from a mushroom house after that you finish the minigame, but it works bad in normal levels...infact it makes you exit from the level after that 3 seconds, so it's useless. It works on the "most used for hacking" NSMB versions, European and American ones. Korean and Japanese versions still needs testing, blame me for that.

And here's some other wacky stuff that you can do with this bug.

P.S: I also checked out in Sprite DB how the Toadsworth was described and guess what? Lies and lies about the "Unused" setting...it actually says "What is the unused type? Well, it makes glitchy blocks that do nothing. Never use it."
I'm not sure if it really makes glitchy blocks in levels that aren't towers...oh well, I should find that out by myself soon.Yep, it works in every type of level.

Download of the .nml of the level...for those who don't believe:

And, if this thing was already discovered, please don't hate me.

Posted on 09-09-14, 10:40 am (rev. 1 by Thierry on 09-09-14, 10:40 am)
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
This video is private. Please make it public.

You made me make that offtopic post.
Posted on 09-09-14, 10:41 am (rev. 1 by thereturnofdoritosxD on 09-09-14, 10:48 am)

Posted by Thierry
This video is private. Please make it public.

You made me make that offtopic post.

Oops, sorry. I changed the video setting to "Not in video list" or however the heck it's called.

P.S: I also discovered that the "Toadworth's unused setting" works in every level. Woo.
Posted on 09-09-14, 11:22 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Woah, cool find. Exiting a level without dying or getting to the flagpole, this could be useful for something.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 09-09-14, 11:30 am

Posted by MarioFanatic64
Woah, cool find. Exiting a level without dying or getting to the flagpole, this could be useful for something.

NSMBCR's SM64-ish hub, maybe?

Oh, and to those who don't believe in magic in this unused feature, here's a .nml of the level, just click, download, import and play.
Posted on 09-09-14, 11:55 am
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
Do you just exit the level or is it marked as finished then?

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 09-09-14, 12:35 pm (rev. 4 by thereturnofdoritosxD on 09-09-14, 03:11 pm)

Posted by Arceus
Do you just exit the level or is it marked as finished then?

This bug only makes you exit from the level and return to the overworld, but sadly it doesn't mark the level as finished...and now that you said it, I completely forgot to mention this in the first post. Added.

P.S: I discovered that this thing is incredibily buggy...if you stay in a level for about 10 seconds without touching the "Toadsworth's unused feature", you will automatically leave the level. Technically this thing is useless.
It could be fixed with some though ASM hacking, but without it, your level is ruined.
Posted on 09-09-14, 04:45 pm (rev. 1 by Thierry on 09-09-14, 04:45 pm)
この記号は… 解読できないよ…

Since: 01-17-13
P.S: I discovered that this thing is incredibily buggy...if you stay in a level for about 10 seconds without touching the "Toadsworth's unused feature", you will automatically leave the level. Technically this thing is useless.
It could be fixed with some though ASM hacking, but without it, your level is ruined.

Do you remember that, when there's no more block in the mushroom house, you gets out of the level like this? Try adding mushroom house blocks in your level to see if it does anything.

Posted on 09-09-14, 04:48 pm (rev. 1 by thereturnofdoritosxD on 09-09-14, 04:50 pm)

Posted by Thierry

Do you remember that, when there's no more block in the mushroom house, you gets out of the level like this? Try adding mushroom house blocks in your level to see if it does anything.

It'd be useless because it will make you exit before you'd start hitting some blocks. Also note that, mushroom houses have different coding than normal levels. But this feature could be useful in mini hacks...if you design the levels correctly.
Posted on 09-09-14, 04:51 pm (rev. 4 by  Baby Bowser on 09-09-14, 05:11 pm)
Red Koopa

Since: 05-11-13
It's a shame that it doesnt work and...
um, not that much I think.

Because you can just do this "entrance thing" like in the Mushroom Background Chooser house to exit a level using an entrance (f. e. a door) without dying or reaching the flagpole. Well, it does kinda the same thing as Toadsworth "should" do. Of course you've got any time you wish in the level.

So why trying a harder way instead of an easier that does the same?!

Posted on 09-09-14, 05:29 pm (rev. 1 by thereturnofdoritosxD on 09-09-14, 05:34 pm)

Actually I wanted to use it in my 1-world hack in the World 1-Castle...after that Mario would have defeated Bowser, the pipe blocked by the spike ?-block will be opened and he will arrive outside the castle where he will find Daisy. And then, the screen will fade...somehow trying to give to the player the feeling of..."Did...did I win the game?". Oh well, I'll scrap this idea and try to do something else.

P.S: Look at this post's ID...
Posted on 09-09-14, 06:53 pm
Red Koopa

There's one (kind of) good thing about using this let-an-entrance-for-example-a-pipe-get-ya-out-of-the-level-feature :
The level won't be signed as finished and the star coins not as collected that's true...
but you even can't continue ever to world 2 so it stays a real 1 world hack if you know what I mean

P.S: Your post must have come from hell...
Posted on 09-09-14, 07:32 pm

Hmm...I'll try and see what I can do.

Also, aren't we derailing this thread offtopic?
Posted on 09-09-14, 08:09 pm

Since: 04-02-13
Well, I could probably fix this if you'd want.

Do you?
Posted on 09-09-14, 08:12 pm (rev. 2 by  Baby Bowser on 09-09-14, 08:16 pm)
Red Koopa

edit: skawo, you know how to mark the level as finished? that would be great
Posted on 09-09-14, 08:18 pm

Since: 04-02-13
I can probably fix the 10 seconds thing.
About the level finishing? Not sure. Perhaps.
Posted on 09-09-14, 08:29 pm (rev. 3 by  Baby Bowser on 09-09-14, 10:22 pm)
Red Koopa

Just to clear what I mean:
What I did is comparing header block 6 from a Mushroom House with block 6 of a normal level.
I don't remember correctly what byte(s) exactly to change, (copying the whole block should do it too.)
And then every entrance you enter in this level sends you to the world map. (not sure if the warp sprite works)
Just like in the mushroom house, so the level is not finished when leaving it. That's the problem!

edit: the warp sprite works as always

edit2: I forgot to say that I downloaded your level and tried this toadsworth thing out by myself. The truth is that the unused feature does not really warps you to the world map when you touch the sprite. It just looks like this because the time you need to go to him is kinda the time he warps you automatically to the world map. So if skawo would remove that time limit the sprite would not does sonething anymore - it is useless!
But it could maybe be kind of useful for a speedrun level if you extend the time until the warp.

Posted on 09-10-14, 02:32 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
I'm gonna take a guess and assume that the level exits in 10 seconds because Toadsworth has already spawned. If you place him at the end of the level, it probably won't exit the level until Toadsworth has spawned.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 09-10-14, 07:28 am (rev. 3 by thereturnofdoritosxD on 09-10-14, 07:52 am)

Posted by skawo
I can probably fix the 10 seconds thing.
About the level finishing? Not sure. Perhaps.

That would be great, but... do you know where the timer thing is stored and how you could edit it? Just asking. Also, here's Toadworth's location in the ROM (if it could be useful): /enemy/kinoji.nsbmd

@ Baby Bowser: Could you send me a .nml of the level that you showed in the video? I just wanna to see how the level was made. Also, I didn't quote your post, because it was a bit too...long?

Posted by MarioFanatic64
I'm gonna take a guess and assume that the level exits in 10 seconds because Toadsworth has already spawned. If you place him at the end of the level, it probably won't exit the level until Toadsworth has spawned.

I never tried that before, but I'm gonna grab 1-1 of the original ROM and take a test.

Oh well, I'm gonna try your theories and see what happens.

P.S: Tried  MarioFanatic64's theory and...no, it takes you out of the level, even at the start of the level after 10 seconds.
Posted on 09-10-14, 09:17 am
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
Also, here's Toadworth's location in the ROM (if it could be useful): /enemy/kinoji.nsbmd

That is a nsbmd file, it won't contain anything other than the model and textures.
Pages: 123 »