Pages: 1
Posted on 11-03-20, 11:06 pm

Since: 11-03-20
So I just downloaded the editor and I'd like some help starting it up. Sorry if some of these are complete noob questions, heh.

1. When I try to run it, it tells me to open a ROM file. I'm not quite sure what that might be. Is it a file that I should create or is it one I have to download from somewhere. And if so, then how might I do it?

2. It also tells me stuff about a server. Is this a Wi-Fi server or something like that? Or does it mean something different (again, noob question)? What would I need to enter in?

Just two questions. Looking forward to an answer and thanks in advance.
Posted on 11-03-20, 11:41 pm
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
1) In this case a ROM is the software that is in the game cartridge, being New Super Mario Bros. on the DS.
In order to use NSMBe you need to have a copy of the software on your computer in the .nds format, you get this by dumping your physical copy or through other means (which we cannot go into detail here)

2) The server function is meant for multiple people working on the same ROM, you can use NSMBe 100% normally without it. All it's used for is confusing new people
Posted on 11-03-20, 11:45 pm
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Since: 08-07-17
Also, just for reference, the US version of NSMB is the standard for hacking. Most ASM patches and documentation are built around it.
Posted on 11-04-20, 12:46 am

Ok, thanks. Of course, I'm not interested at all in those other means for obtaining the software of the game.

With regards to that, however, would you mind explaining further the process of "dumping" the physical copy of the game? Does that mean just getting rid of it? Because I'm not sure how that would help.

Thanks.
Posted on 11-04-20, 01:21 am
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Since: 08-07-17
"Other means" basically just means downloading the game off some website, so I'm not sure why John was so cryptic about that. However, we can't link a site where you can download the game or post it here as it'd be against the board's rules. Dumping a ROM basically means copying it off of the game cartridge. It's not something I know how to do so I can't really give any advice on that.
Posted on 11-04-20, 02:07 am

Great, thanks for the help! I'll let you know if I encounter any future problems.

Can't wait to get started; NSMB DS was always one of my favorite 2D Marios.
Pages: 1