Pages: 1
Posted on 10-25-19, 02:56 am (rev. 1 by  BeingAwesom on 10-25-19, 02:59 am)
Paragoomba
Kab-omb for life

Since: 11-22-17
Recently some odd things have been happening with my hack regarding Bowser. I was halfway through making World 2 when I decided to go back to World 1 and refine it. Everything was normal until I reached World 1-Castle. There, when I entered the boss door to Bowser, the game would turn to black and stay black. All I had changed compared to the original game's Bowser room was that it was using the castle tileset, used the unused sunset lighting option and had new fog FG effects on top of the original lava particles. After some trial and error, I found that deleting one of the lava FG effects fixed the crashing problem. This was all fine and dandy until after I completed World 2. I was once again replaying World 1-Castle, and the game crashed again after you entered the boss door. I've tried everything to stop the crashing, but nothing seems to work. The only time I got it to work was when I completely disabled Bowser's sprites as a test, so I'm guessing Bowser itself is the culprit.

While I have my doubts, my only guess onto why the game is crashing is because of some ASM hacks I put into the game. Before the first crashes, I had changed some code so that the screen always stays on top, no matter the setting and some code to let the player slide on slopes in levels with tightropes. Before the second crashes, I had changed some code so that sprite 255 (the unused jungle sprite) would scroll sideways instead of vertically. Outside of the Bowser fight, everything seems fine and I don't really want to remove the ASM hacks I had put in—if they are the problem. So, does anybody know how to fix this problem or should I go the route of NSMB5: CTT2 and replace bosses with enemy rooms?
Posted on 10-26-19, 12:07 am
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
It's probably the sunset effect. Try turning that and the fog FG effect off. Bowser's model probably doesn't have a reaction to the sunset effect since it was never suppose to in the original game.

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 10-26-19, 12:28 am
Paragoomba
Kab-omb for life

Bowser had worked perfectly fine before with the fog FG effects and the sunset effect. I've tried removing them, yet the game still crashed.
Posted on 10-26-19, 05:12 am
Giant Paratroopa
Cream Cheese King

Since: 04-24-18
Hm, had a similiar issue with the Dry Bones Bowser. Totally stumped.

Discord Server 1 - Discord Server 2 - Youtube Channel
Posted on 10-27-19, 04:42 am (rev. 1 by  BeingAwesom on 11-01-19, 12:28 pm)
Paragoomba
Kab-omb for life

I've removed the ASM hack which scrolls sprite 255 horizontally instead of vertically and Bowser still crashes. I've also tested out Mummipokey, and apparently it crashes too now.

EDIT: I retried Bowser and Mummipokey, though as I entered World 1-Castle the game crashed but Mummipokey worked. What is going on?