Pages: 1
Posted on 10-22-17, 05:23 pm
Ninji
W1 out :)

Since: 10-22-17
Hello everyone,
this is my first post here and i hope that i posted it in the correct thread and did everything else right (if not: sorry).

However, i started hacking my own game and wanted to insert a direct rom patch from http://nsmbhd.net/thread/2569-misc-patches-thread/.
The guide says i have to decompress the specific overlay first and edit those decompressed files.

So i start NSMBe, open my rom, click on ROM File Browser, click on the specific overlay and click "decompress overlay" but nothing seems to happen.
I know something happened because clicking again shows me the message: "Error: Overlay file is already decompressed"
But neither in the nsmbe folder nor in the folder where my rom is placed is a new, decompressed file.

I already tried multiple versions of nsmbe (354; 356; 379) but there are still no files.

I hope anyone can (and want to) help me.

Greets
Posted on 10-22-17, 08:56 pm
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
Posted by Skawo
Extract it out of the ROM. Then, using a hex editor, search for the values in the "Search in ROM" column one line at a time. Replace them with values in the "Replace with" column. Once done, save, and import back into the ROM using NSMBe.

What this is saying is
After decompressing:

Extract the overlay using the "Extract" button and save it to somewhere you won't forget
Use a hex editor (Like HxD or something) and search up the values given and replace them.
Save when you're done editing the overlay
Import the edited overlay using the "Replace" button
Posted on 10-23-17, 09:45 am
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
Have a look at the fileseize of the overlay before and after clicking decompress.

If the filesize increased everything worked fine
Posted on 10-23-17, 10:34 am
Ninji
W1 out :)

Since: 10-22-17
Thank you both!

Didn't know I have to extract them.

I thought, the program would do it on its own.