Pages: 1
Posted on 07-10-16, 05:13 am
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
Say if you wanted bigger worlds or a world 9, how hard would it be to add in levels? I know EFE has an "Add File" function but I heard it was very hard to add files into a DS game? Anyway, would it be as simple as adding in the file, then writing some ASM to create an extra node on the worldmap, and make the node load that level?
Posted on 07-10-16, 06:10 am
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
Posted by cros107
(...) Anyway, would it be as simple as adding in the file, then writing some ASM to create an extra node on the worldmap, and make the node load that level?

Not really, I'm pretty sure that the number of levels is hard coded, though I could be wrong. But remember you can't just go about adding files expecting them to work out of thin air.

But man, making a World 9 is like stabbing yourself in the eye very slowly.
That involves making this and writing ASM for:
A method to get to it.
Bottom screen icon and map.
Flying ? blocks, hammer bros., and Bowser Jr. (If he's there)
Making the animation for Mario to get to each point on the paths.
^ Also the paths.
The Map with textures and the such.
Making the game load the levels on the points...
etc...

To put it simply; Very if you're going full out.
Posted on 07-10-16, 09:46 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Theoretically, if you were to take advantage of blank, unused areas and you added more positions on the World Map it's possible in a relatively simple manner, you just need to read up on the Worldmap documentation and have decent modelling skills.

In practice there might be other issues to consider. This method is more of a shortcut than anything, and tbh it's not worth the extra effort.

If you want to have more levels in your hack, consider using cannon levels, either by replacing them with standalone levels or making a small hub to warp to areas via area overflow.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 07-10-16, 11:04 am
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
 MarioFanatic64, would it be possible to replace toad houses the same way? Or are they not conventional levels?
Posted on 07-10-16, 04:00 pm
Koopa
banned: childish fight with Super-toad 65

Since: 05-14-16
Toad houses aren't conventional levels. Starcoins won't work correctly with them, so I wouldn't advise on that idea.