Pages: 1
Posted on 07-07-12, 12:21 pm
Flurry

Since: 10-14-11
I wanna get a few cheats for my Wii like textures and others but I need Gecko OS .

Anyways my Wii doesnt have the homebrew channel and I have been looking at videos to install the homebrew channel.

I heard that doing this can brick your Wii.

So anyways, I was wondering if the homebrew channel is safe in general from someone on the forums rather than a random youtube comment.

The Wii updates can cause the Wii to brick if it detects the homebrew channel and the Wii hasnt updated in over a year and a half so i would think it is safe enough.
Posted on 07-07-12, 12:28 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Homebrew channel is 100% safe. And it's worth it, you can run awesome stuff in your wii like emulators and homebrew games. And it's easy. Just use letterbomb/bannerbomb to run the installer, tell it to install HBC, and done.

Most people who brick their wiis do it by installing more "dangerous" things like cIOS'es or other stuff, but even that, if you do it properly it's safe.

If you're going to install HBC, update before you do, because updating after installing HBC is not recommended. It should be safe, people say it just removes HBC and other hacks, and you can install it again after it, but if you can avoid trying, avoid it. Anyways, there are probably no more interesting updates coming for Wii, so you shouldn't worry too much about not being able to update.
Posted on 07-07-12, 12:51 pm
Flurry

Great. My Wii is 4.3e I think ( definitely 4.3 ) so I can download HBC and Gecko OS and more thanks.

One more question, lets just say a new Wii update comes out, 4.4 lets say, am i able to remove the HBC so if I were to update to 4.4 there would be no chance of messing up my Wii or it is installed there for good?
Posted on 07-07-12, 12:52 pm
Flurry

This is me ^^ sorry
Posted on 07-07-12, 01:07 pm
Porcupo
Captivated by Persona 4

Since: 01-06-12
Posted by Shadey21
I wanna get a few cheats for my Wii like textures and others but I need Gecko OS .

Anyways my Wii doesnt have the homebrew channel and I have been looking at videos to install the homebrew channel.

I heard that doing this can brick your Wii.

So anyways, I was wondering if the homebrew channel is safe in general from someone on the forums rather than a random youtube comment.

The Wii updates can cause the Wii to brick if it detects the homebrew channel and the Wii hasnt updated in over a year and a half so i would think it is safe enough.

There is also Riivolution . I use that to play wii hacks (with the original rom)
Posted on 07-07-12, 01:11 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Yes, it can be removed.
Anyways, there's no problem in updating with HBC installed. The update removes HBC, so you just got to install it again.

But if there's a new update out, before updating, check that HBC can be installed in the new version. THey'll probably fix the exploits that are used to install it. There was BannerBomb, then they fixed it in 4.3, and there's LetterBomb now. They'll fix LetterBomb and then the HBC guys will probably come up with a new one
Posted on 07-07-12, 02:15 pm
Flurry

Thanks for the replies.

I dont want to heavily mod my Wii or use ISO's or anything so ill keep to the safe stuff like Gecko OS and emulators, so my wii should be ok

Posted on 07-09-12, 02:55 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
I was cautious about the HBC for a few years so I never installed it. But then my old Wii's lens crapped out and stopped recognising discs. So I installed it then because a bricking's not that much worse in comparison to not playing games at all. But luckily it worked fine, and now I can play even mods like Super Mario Star Road and even NSMB Hacks on my TV, so it's great.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 07-09-12, 09:27 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-28-11
I am actually a little skeptical about installing HBC (bricking & stuff), but ive been reconsidering to install it, since I want to do NSMBW hacks and play classic games in emulators. I still have the 4.2U version, so I am wondering if is still a good idea to install it?

Posted on 07-09-12, 11:08 pm
AxewAxew

Since: 07-02-11
Sure, go right ahead.

As long as you don't fuck up, it's completely safe.
Pages: 1