Pages: 12 »
Posted on 06-01-12, 12:23 am
Flurry

Since: 10-14-11
is it possible to edit multiplayer versus levels? enemies, stars, maps etc.
Posted on 06-01-12, 07:10 am
Roy Koopa
The guy who does things.

Since: 07-01-11
Probably, but you'll need to figure that out yourself. SM64DSe isn't being developed anymore.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clone Tag Team 1+2 / New Super Mario Advance + Take 2 / Super Mario: Endless Earth
My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
Posted on 06-01-12, 05:59 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
You can edit them, but don't expect to be able to play them in multiplayer mode.

SM64DS only supports download-play multiplayer. DLP, unless you run a PassMe/FlashMe firmware, requires the host ROM (more precisely the header and binaries) to be signed, and since SM64DSe needs to do heavy modifications to the game's binary, the signature of an edited ROM is invalid.

inb4 "isn't it possible to fix the signature": RSA1024 can't be cracked, the only way to get the signing key is to steal it from Nintendo's high-security basement.

zrghij
Posted on 06-01-12, 09:17 pm
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
You can edit them, but don't expect to be able to play them in multiplayer mode.

SM64DS only supports download-play multiplayer. DLP, unless you run a PassMe/FlashMe firmware, requires the host ROM (more precisely the header and binaries) to be signed, and since SM64DSe needs to do heavy modifications to the game's binary, the signature of an edited ROM is invalid.

inb4 "isn't it possible to fix the signature": RSA1024 can't be cracked, the only way to get the signing key is to steal it from Nintendo's high-security basement.

How can 2 roms be used to play multiplayer? only single-card works, multicard doesnt, how can PassMe or FlashMe change that?
Posted on 06-01-12, 09:20 pm
☭ coffee and cream

You don't use two ROMs.

FlashMe/PassMe are basically hacked versions of the DS firmware, with the DLP signature check removed. Those will allow a client to connect to a SM64DS game initiated by a hacked ROM.

And even then, there's no guarantee at all that edited multiplayer levels will work. This has never been tested afaik.

zrghij
Posted on 06-01-12, 09:28 pm
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
You don't use two ROMs.

FlashMe/PassMe are basically hacked versions of the DS firmware, with the DLP signature check removed. Those will allow a client to connect to a SM64DS game initiated by a hacked ROM.

And even then, there's no guarantee at all that edited multiplayer levels will work. This has never been tested afaik.

Oh right. Something like SM64x4 would be great, too bad its nearly impossible and no one is interested in SM64DS Multiplayer, so it wont happen.

Off-topic but are there any .nds files you can run on flashcards or flash cards that work like PassMe or FlashMe?
Posted on 06-01-12, 09:37 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Posted on 06-01-12, 10:10 pm
Flurry

Thanks I will try this. Does it make a difference what firmware the host uses so if a DS hosts it or a DSi hosts it?
As long as the downloader is using the firmware.nds?

sorry for going off-topic
Posted on 06-01-12, 10:16 pm
☭ coffee and cream

It makes no difference what the host uses, as long as they're able to run the hacked ROM without trouble. As long as the downloader uses firmware.nds or something equal in functionality, it should be fine.

zrghij
Posted on 06-01-12, 10:17 pm (rev. 1 by  Shadey on 06-02-12, 10:58 am)
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
It makes no difference what the host uses, as long as they're able to run the hacked ROM without trouble. As long as the downloader uses firmware.nds or something equal in functionality, it should be fine.

Ok , gonna try some things out. Tell you if anything works.

EDIT: the sm64ds editor patch it gives roms disables versus. you can do it with 1 person no problem but if 2 people try to play ,it crashes while the yoshis are jumping into the picture.

It has something to do with the patch. I opened the a clean rom with the editor , made no changes and multiplayer didnt work. It might work if we could edit the rom without the editor or somehow have the editor not patch it.
Posted on 06-02-12, 11:13 am (rev. 2 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:23 am)
☭ coffee and cream

Yes, it's the patching operation for sure. It adds overlays to the ROM, and the multiplayer code would need to be patched to send the new overlays as well as the old ones.

> edit the rom without the editor
If you know how to do it with an hex editor, go ahead. Otherwise, using SM64DSe is mandatory.

> have the editor not patch it
SM64DSe v0.5 can edit ROMs without patching them. But it's fairly limited, you can't add or remove objects. It also lacks 3D rendering of levels so it's not that easy to use.

For technical reasons that are hard to explain to the average user, adding objects requires the complex patching SM64DSe v2 does. Well, actually it could be done without patching, but it'd be extremely complex. The patching reduces the difficulty a lot.

zrghij
Posted on 06-02-12, 11:34 am (rev. 2 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:23 am)
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
Yes, it's the patching operation for sure. It adds overlays to the ROM, and the multiplayer code would need to be patched to send the new overlays as well as the old ones.

> edit the rom without the editor
If you know how to do it with an hex editor, go ahead. Otherwise, using SM64DSe is mandatory.

> have the editor not patch it
SM64DSe v0.5 can edit ROMs without patching them. But it's fairly limited, you can't add or remove objects. It also lacks 3D rendering of levels so it's not that easy to use.

For technical reasons that are hard to explain to the average user, adding objects requires the complex patching SM64DSe v2 does. Well, actually it could be done without patching, but it'd be extremely complex. The patching reduces the difficulty a lot.

Can this editor edit the objects(not add or remove)? like the trees and stars etc? and also spawn locations?
Posted on 06-02-12, 11:41 am
☭ coffee and cream

Trying out would have taken you less time to find out than writing that post and waiting for me to reply this one.

It can edit most level objects, except for coins, trees, and possibly stars. It also can't edit views, warps and all that.

zrghij
Posted on 06-02-12, 11:50 am (rev. 2 by  Shadey on 06-02-12, 12:54 pm)
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
Trying out would have taken you less time to find out than writing that post and waiting for me to reply this one.

It can edit most level objects, except for coins, trees, and possibly stars. It also can't edit views, warps and all that.

I did try it out but loads of coordinates came up so had no idea what to do haha. I was going to open 1 rom with the most recent version and another rom with the old editor to see if any coordinates are similar so i know what im editing thats all.

Anyways i just changed the sky and it didnt work. 'Loading please wait' gets stuck for about 5 mins then just freezes. It could be the fact that i edited the sky and it is not available on the narcs but objects cant be edited because coins and trees are the only thing available to edit on the main vs place. I could try mess around with the narcs with narc explorer and NSMBe.
Posted on 06-02-12, 12:46 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Oh right. I had forgotten about a few points:

* SM64DSe v0.5 (and any version before 2.0) can't edit multiplayer levels.
* It can open ROMs other than EUR, but some levels won't load right.
* It probably could open a ROM patched by SM64DSe v2.0, but it would load the original level data, so you wouldn't see your edits. (That's because patching wasn't yet envisaged at that point. SM64DSe v1.0, for example, would refuse to open a ROM patched by v2.0)
* And yeah I told you, no 3D preview. All you see is the objects' IDs and their coordinates and data. This is barely better than a hex editor

zrghij
Posted on 06-02-12, 12:54 pm
Flurry

PROGRESS: Replaced some stage files from the metal switch stage with the slide stage in the versus narc. It works! But, the spawn points stay in the same location and since the map is placed lower the yoshis take a few seconds to fall into the place. The water is seen as a floor which is weird. If the stars could somehow be moved to fit the map , same with the spawn points , you could make a custom versus place.

Also, when I put the metal switch stage files into the first versus map narc ( castle ) the game did not load, but when I put the same metal switch file into the slide narc it works. Kind of weird. So versus editing is possible.
Posted on 06-02-12, 01:17 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Of course, replacing the course's model is possible, and easy. But it only replaces the model, the objects remain the same.

Multiplayer level edits will require some more ASM hacking to work. And hacked firmwares of course (like that firmware.nds you've been using).

And y'know... I have no motivation to work on that.

zrghij
Posted on 06-02-12, 01:27 pm (rev. 1 by  Shadey on 06-02-12, 01:40 pm)
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
Of course, replacing the course's model is possible, and easy. But it only replaces the model, the objects remain the same.

Multiplayer level edits will require some more ASM hacking to work. And hacked firmwares of course (like that firmware.nds you've been using).

And y'know... I have no motivation to work on that.

Yeah, no one is interested in multiplayer lol. Too bad , I say SM64DS could really progress if people liked it. look at how far NSMB multiplayer hacking has progressed. Personally, Multiplayer hacking is my favourite.

Actually I didnt need to use firmware.nds Just replaced and played.

Is ASM hacking not moding the main code of the game? I thought someone could just change the cords of spawn and stars in a hex editor no?
Anyways im probably wrong lol. Maybe I could use the editor move the objects and then insert them into a clean rom that hasnt been touched by the editor.

BTW, why are 3 of the multiplayer places missing in the editor? I can only see the castle.
Posted on 06-02-12, 06:35 pm
☭ coffee and cream

ASM hacking indeed consists into modifying the game's code. And yes someone can change the coordinates of objects in a hex editor. They just need to know where to look.

Using the editor to move the objects, and then copypasting the object tables into a clean ROM is possible (again, if you know where to look). But it won't help with the signature issue I mentioned earlier. The overlays in the game are hashed. Modifying them would require fixing their hashes, which are stored in the main binary. And if you modify the main binary, the ROM's signature is broken.

The multiplayer levels aren't missing. It's just that the game uses the same levels for singleplayer and multiplayer. Open the singleplayer levels and use the star selector to find the multiplayer objects.

zrghij
Posted on 06-06-12, 06:36 pm
Flurry

Posted by Mega-Mario
ASM hacking indeed consists into modifying the game's code. And yes someone can change the coordinates of objects in a hex editor. They just need to know where to look.

Using the editor to move the objects, and then copypasting the object tables into a clean ROM is possible (again, if you know where to look). But it won't help with the signature issue I mentioned earlier. The overlays in the game are hashed. Modifying them would require fixing their hashes, which are stored in the main binary. And if you modify the main binary, the ROM's signature is broken.

The multiplayer levels aren't missing. It's just that the game uses the same levels for singleplayer and multiplayer. Open the singleplayer levels and use the star selector to find the multiplayer objects.

i know its a late response but you can view most files in the NSMBe. Think the object table is there somewhere?
Pages: 12 »