Pages: 1
Posted on 01-12-22, 11:20 pm (rev. 53 by  Red Flying Troopa on 04-10-22, 05:01 pm)
Red Goomba
The Paratroopa who mods games.

Since: 02-14-18
Context as to what this is and some summarized history as to this project.
——————————————————
Oh, boy. I have been anticipating the day that I would show this off; a Reboot of the Old, Dead Hack that I released in late to early 2017 and '18. (Mario's Next Adventure. DS) This version has brand new levels from the ground up. Some are remixed stages from past Mario stages. And a select few are better versions from the Orginal Mario's Next Adventure (the custom stages that is.).
I have taken the liberty of making stages from the ground up. I left the graphics of all tilesets and backgrounds alone except for A select few (that are used) and the following credits go as follows: goes to owthe.lat, ShadowMario321, Snakeblock and hamza62240 and finally, TRS.
——————————————————
What MNAR in terms of what does it contain in comparison to the old version?

Brand new levels from the ground up.
Not screwed-up graphics. I promise you that.
A tested patch. (I made sure to test it first before putting it in here.)
Custom music.
Mostly consistent level themes.
————————————————————————

World themes and descriptions:

World 1: Desert near a snowy mountain valley. (Takes place mostly at night or early morning to late afternoon.) [Somewhat close to complete. A few levels desperately need to be remade or replaced.]

World 2: Snowy Mountain Valley. (Takes place mostly in the day to early afternoon time.) [Complete but it’s in a weird place. I need to fix and/or replace levels here.]

World 3: DEV world [tba]. (Mix of indoors and outdoors.) [This world is very very incomplete.]

World 4: Dev World [My test/experimental world; tba]

———————————-
Some Stand out levels:

World 1-1

World 1-5 and its bonus section.

World 2-A

World 2-Cannon

World 1-2

—————/————/———-/——-
Some Facts about this hack/mod:

World 1-5’s bonus section is the largest bonus area I have ever made.

This mod has fitting Sonic music (from the classic trilogy).

This has been in development for about 2 almost 3 years; with on and off work.

——————/——-/——-
Issues I am aware of:

Some slopes at the top will stop Mario dead in his tracks. (I'm Actively fixing these!)
1-A's underground segment has awful music and has an unfinished roof.
—————-/——-/———
Media

—-////—/-////-/-////———
Download for the .bps patch:

here is the patch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FARk2WrUoFQ3efR5tPFFuiKM1YI38UnG/view?usp=sharing (It's a .bps not a .nmp) [OLD]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17yVcM_XO5VHJQR5p9Ajv-3dYvbXhLW-r/view?usp=sharing (Same format as the above) [2.11.A; Very Early Alpha old]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7yn4waZAO8aKe9r3VNEN0nOgWKuukgp/view?usp=sharing [2.11.01.A; same format as the last one. Also old!]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fm0JMSOGVC5Quqw6v4aZLxTW2JHYGld3/view?usp=sharing [2.12.A; First Alpha Version; Latest]
use this patcher (or any other you have) and patch and click skip checksum before applying the patch: https://hack64.net/tools/patcher.php.
——//—-

Music Credits:
SEGA
composers from VGMusic (I don't remember who made what midis. I believe there's only 3 music tracks from there. I will find out what midis were made by who at some point.)

---------
One last thing:
Give me screenshots of any messed-up slopes and/or whatnot.
Also, give me some suggestions on how I can make this better! (I don't know how to do ASM so anything but that)
——————————-
Sign off
——————————-
What you see here is a one-man hack.
(If you don't understand what I said; I am making this hack by myself.)

Thanks for reading,

Red Flying Troopa/Arctic the Nebula Koopa.

Posted on 02-01-22, 03:49 pm
Beezo
something that resembles the blaze of a fire

Since: 03-18-21
Overall, it's cool, but you could use different tilesets than the originals, or just slightly change them.

Keep up your work
Posted on 02-02-22, 12:50 am
Red Goomba

Posted by BL4ZED
Overall, it's cool, but you could use different tilesets than the originals, or just slightly change them.

Keep up your work

Thanks, I don't really want to use anything beyond the originals. Only because of my tendencies to break graphics in romhacking.

Posted on 02-02-22, 11:27 am
Beezo

Posted by Arctic the Fox
Thanks, I don't really want to use anything beyond the originals. Only because of my tendencies to break graphics in romhacking.

Yeah, I know what you talking about, trust me

But I understand. Besides, I'm only changing tilesets when I finish my hack.
Posted on 02-02-22, 10:25 pm
Red Goomba

Posted by BL4ZED
Posted by Arctic the Fox

Yeah, I know what you talking about, trust me

But I understand. Besides, I'm only changing tilesets when I finish my hack.

Wish you luck on your hack!

Posted on 02-04-22, 10:43 am
Beezo

Thanks and good luck to you too!
Posted on 02-06-22, 03:29 am
Koopa

Since: 04-23-21
ok
I have 2 request at all

1.don't use google drive, use NSMBHD's uploader. It's a pain for guys that can't use google drive.
2.use .nmp patch.

I'll look at the levels.
Posted on 02-06-22, 09:07 am (rev. 1 by  Keeper on 02-06-22, 09:18 am)
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Since: 08-07-17
Posted by TraineeLuigie
2.use .nmp patch.
Eh, I think the BPS is fine, if non-standard. It's definitely more universal than NMPs.

Anyway, finally getting around to doing a critique of the sort. There are quite a few general technical errors, namely,
-Tiling errors
-Non-slidable slopes
-Entrance placement errors
-Lack of pink ? blocks
-Piranha plants placed too far into pipes
-Some camera problems
-Some non-functioning checkpoints
-Inconsistent distancing of castle to end flag
-The launcher pipes overlapping regular pipes
As well as some more level-specific problems, such as
-Some blind drops
-The random snake blocks in 1-tower
-There's also two checkpoints in 1-tower I think?
-And in 2-tower as well?
-The background scrolling in 1-3
-The secret exit in 2-2
-The lava that acts like water in 2-castle
These should be preventable by testing the levels as much as possible which, while time consuming, can definitely help round out rougher edges.

There's also some problems that might be more attributable to my personal preference, like
-The slow speed of the platforms in 1-tower
-The arbitrary changes in pipe colour after encountering a pipe joint
-The ridiculous amount of coins in that room in 1-5
-The strange/unclear/inconsistent level themes (changing the world map textures might help with this)
-The large, empty spaces present in many of the levels
-The sporadic coin placement in 2-tower

This is just a general overview of things, but hopefully It'll give you an idea on how to refine some things in your hack. Also, I think it be helpful to try and use some of the pre-made custom tilesets available on the site, as they can help make your hack more visually distinct. You could also make some tilesets or backgrounds yourself if you wanted to, as relying strictly on the ones already in-game can be limiting. Hope to see you continue!
Posted on 02-06-22, 03:47 pm (rev. 3 by  Red Flying Troopa on 03-28-22, 12:15 pm)
Red Goomba

Posted by Keeper
Posted by TraineeLuigie
2.use .nmp patch.
Eh, I think the BPS is fine, if non-standard. It's definitely more universal than NMPs.

Anyway, finally getting around to doing a critique of the sort. There are quite a few general technical errors, namely,
-Tiling errors
-Non-slidable slopes
-Entrance placement errors
-Lack of pink ? blocks
-Piranha plants placed too far into pipes
-Some camera problems
-Some non-functioning checkpoints
-Inconsistent distancing of castle to end flag
-The launcher pipes overlapping regular pipes
As well as some more level-specific problems, such as
-Some blind drops
-The random snake blocks in 1-tower
-There's also two checkpoints in 1-tower I think?
-And in 2-tower as well?
-The background scrolling in 1-3
-The secret exit in 2-2
-The lava that acts like water in 2-castle
These should be preventable by testing the levels as much as possible which, while time consuming, can definitely help round out rougher edges.

There's also some problems that might be more attributable to my personal preference, like
-The slow speed of the platforms in 1-tower
-The arbitrary changes in pipe colour after encountering a pipe joint
-The ridiculous amount of coins in that room in 1-5
-The strange/unclear/inconsistent level themes (changing the world map textures might help with this)
-The large, empty spaces present in many of the levels
-The sporadic coin placement in 2-tower

This is just a general overview of things, but hopefully It'll give you an idea on how to refine some things in your hack. Also, I think it be helpful to try and use some of the pre-made custom tilesets available on the site, as they can help make your hack more visually distinct. You could also make some tilesets or backgrounds yourself if you wanted to, as relying strictly on the ones already in-game can be limiting. Hope to see you continue!

Thanks for reviewing my hack, Keeper! I will get around to fixing some of those problems that at some point.

I want to provide some of the things I think I will work on later with the things you said and some insight into some of the levels’ history depending on if its needed:
The non-slidable slopes are a mystery to me. I imagine it has todo with me not knowing how to properly set up slopes.
1-tower is definitely one that is being fixed due to the uh… notably bad design.
The snake blocks are there for a reason that I forgot to fix before release. I am working on that.
1-3… there’s scrolling? Or do you mean a scrolling issue with the background?
1-5’s secret bonus is a reference to NSMB2. It used to have numerous views with pipes connecting to said views. (Hence why you see so many pipes in that bonus.) I will agree that yes it has a lot of coins I will reduce the number at some point.
The pipe color changes with the joints are to make it look interesting and to add variety to the colors in any given stage.
The slope issue is hard for me to fix because I don’t know how to properly use the tiles when its a steep incline. I know how to do it with the gradual incline though. I am trying to rectify those issues.
As for the empty spaces… I think I need help with how I can fix that. If it’s the long stretches of nothing then I have been planning to rectify that. Some of the levels in world 2 are placeholders that have very, very empty spaces and long stretches of nothing.
The inconsistencies with world themes and changing the graphics in those worlds; I am afraid that I will screw up the graphics if I do that. If there is a good tutorial on this please let me know.
I have one custom tileset. I am planning to add more in the future.

I am thankful that you gave me such a great review that gives specific things to work on/fix.

Thanks for reading and reviewing,

Arctic/Red Flying Troopa.

Ps: I should’ve fixed some of these issues before release. I rushed this hack out the door prematurely; while fixing some miscellaneous issues.

Posted on 02-06-22, 05:21 pm
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
Posted by Keeper
Also, I think it be helpful to try and use some of the pre-made custom tilesets available on the site, as they can help make your hack more visually distinct.

To be honest at this point these tilesets have been (ab)used so much that using vanilla stuff sets a hack more apart from others than using those.
But in the end  Red Flying Troopa has to decide which textures he'd like to use.

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 02-07-22, 12:50 am (rev. 1 by  Keeper on 02-07-22, 01:30 am)
Porcupo
I do things sometimes

Since: 08-07-17
Posted by Arceus
To be honest at this point these tilesets have been (ab)used so much that using vanilla stuff sets a hack more apart from others than using those.
Fair enough, suppose it's just my preference.

Also, to clarify some things,
-The problem with 1-3's background is that it shouldn't scroll, otherwise the tileset doesn't line up with it. I'm not sure how the scrolling for it is controlled though unfortunately.
-As for filling the empty spaces, a common level design strategy I've seen suggested is to introduce a gimmick, then build upon it throughout the level. Maybe trying something like that could help give you some ideas on what to fill the empty space with.
-There is a tutorial on changing world map textures, but it doesn't have any images and overlooks a few pitfalls. Luckily with NSMB, if you're patient and willing to experiment with some things you can more or less feel your way around.

I could try peeking around in the editor to look at some of the slopes and try to give a way to fix them.
EDIT: Found the culprit. Apparently, touching tightropes disable slopes. Luckily, there's a fix for that here. Also, just to check, what version of NSMBe are you using?
Posted on 02-07-22, 07:33 pm (rev. 2 by  Red Flying Troopa on 02-07-22, 09:01 pm)
Red Goomba

Posted by Keeper
Posted by Arceus
Fair enough, suppose it's just my preference.

Also, to clarify some things,
-The problem with 1-3's background is that it shouldn't scroll, otherwise the tileset doesn't line up with it. I'm not sure how the scrolling for it is controlled though unfortunately.
-As for filling the empty spaces, a common level design strategy I've seen suggested is to introduce a gimmick, then build upon it throughout the level. Maybe trying something like that could help give you some ideas on what to fill the empty space with.
-There is a tutorial on changing world map textures, but it doesn't have any images and overlooks a few pitfalls. Luckily with NSMB, if you're patient and willing to experiment with some things you can more or less feel your way around.

I could try peeking around in the editor to look at some of the slopes and try to give a way to fix them.
EDIT: Found the culprit. Apparently, touching tightropes disable slopes. Luckily, there's a fix for that here. Also, just to check, what version of NSMBe are you using?

I am using the latest version or the version.
For me, the “Scrolling” on 1-3 doesn’t happen. I believe the culprit is the tiles I placed in the beginning part. If it’s scrolling for you all; I wouldn’t know how to fix that. If a video showing this scrolling since it's not a thing that exists on my end. The tightropes were the first thing to be removed in most stages. The upcoming update is revamping some of the graphics with similar-looking ones. I don’t want to stray too far from the source graphics since I like them. I have found a miscellaneous issue regarding one of the music tracks that being the remix of starlight zone from Sonic 1; it makes the sounds go mute except for Mario’s voice. So it's going to be replaced at some point.
I also finally found out how to probably do slopes work correctly. So yeah, thanks again for the tips and suggestions for me to work on.

Posted on 02-08-22, 04:41 pm
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
Here you can find out how to change the background scrolling:
https://nsmbhd.net/thread/2329-background-scrolling-data-list-hex-edit/

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Pages: 1