Pages: 1
Posted on 05-17-18, 09:03 pm
Ninji
W1 out :)

Since: 10-22-17
Hello everyone,

First, I want to say sorry for spamming questions about Music within the last couple of days. Im just interested. (and I'm writing a new and updated Music hacking guide. And therefore I need every bit of knowledge I can get)

So, when looking around in the Sound Database of some NDS games I noticed something: Using NDS Editor (= kiwi.ds) I saw a folder that caught my attention: the Stream folder. Due to the fact that I don't need it for Music hacking in New Super Mario Bros., I ignored it the whole time (also the fact that Nitro Studio does not show that folder was confusing).

But I'm just snoopy: What does this folder contain and what does it do?
(Same question for the Sequence Archive folder. I don't need it to hack the music but im interested in what the contained files do)

Thanks for every reply
Greets
BooChewbaca
Posted on 05-19-18, 05:09 pm
Red Paratroopa
who am i

Since: 04-15-18
I just asked the creator of Nitro Studio (Gota7) if he knew, he said they are for cutscene audio, they are never used because they use up too much RAM.
Posted on 05-19-18, 05:25 pm
Buzzy Beetle

Since: 11-20-15
Sequence Archive (SSAR) files are packs of sequences for the sound effects, and the sequences rely on SBNK and SWAR files to work (like the SSEQ files).

Stream (STRM) files are for the data for streamed music, but as far as I know, only a few DS games use them.
Posted on 05-20-18, 07:41 am (rev. 6 by  SGC on 05-20-18, 07:50 am)
Red Paragoomba

Since: 01-21-16
Posted by DaneGaming
I just asked the creator of Nitro Studio (Gota7) if he knew, he said they are for cutscene audio, they are never used because they use up too much RAM.

Animal Crossing Wild World uses a Stream for it's title screen music, and for the music in the Cab at the start of the game.
And IIRC, a Pac Man Game for the DS (I think it was Pac Man World) seems to use streamed music entirely.
So no, it's not used exclusively for cut scenes, it could be used for anything, really.

A game such as Mario Kart DS could probably manage to use them, I've spoken with Gericom about it before, and it's a relatively cheap format when it comes to memory, I remember him telling me when I asked about it.

However, any game that didn't use them in the first place likely won't be able to play them, since those libraries weren't used during such a game's development.

There is an ASM hack for MKDS that allows you to stream WAV files, and that works on real hardware in races, and such.
If that works, then Nintendo's official format would likely work even better.