Pages: 1
Posted on 08-07-17, 09:36 pm (rev. 13 by Chronova on 03-09-18, 07:01 pm)
Micro-Goomba
Ultimate Weeb

Since: 07-08-17
Notice: Life is busy lately so I doubt I'll actually ever get around to finishing this. When I get more free time, I'll probably work on a new hack that isn't a remake. I hope everyone enjoys world 1 & 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Super Mario Bros. (name may be changed, feel free to leave suggestions)

This hack is a remake of the NES Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels. Most levels will have minor or maybe even major changes from the original games to make the hack more interesting and fun.
It's my first ever hack, so don't expect anything fancy like ASM hacking, custom textures, etc. There will also most likely be a lot of bugs and issues I'm not aware of, so if you find any please tell me about them in this thread. If you could also tell me how to fix them, it would be much appreciated.

(I know remakes aren't very original and they've been done hundreds of times before, but this only really started off as a small first hack so I could learn the basics of NSMBe. I've spent at least a month working on this already, so I don't want to have wasted all that time. When I'm not such a noob at NSMBe I will make a new hack with fully original levels).

Screenshots:

Videos:

https://youtu.be/XKZvohpn-9g - 8/8/2017

Levels:

World 1: The Mushroom Kingdom Outskirts

1-1 Classic Grassy Plains (SMB 1-1)
1-2 Cavernous Cave (SMB 1-2)
1-3 Hilly Heights (SMB 1-3)
1-T Bowser Junior's Fiery Fort (SMB 1-4)
1-4 The Lost Fields (TLL 1-1)
1-5 Squid Mushroom Sky (TLL 1-3)
1-A Underground Lake (TLL 1-2)
1-C Bowser's Deadly Den (TLL 1-4)

World 2: The Sand Kingdom

2-1 Dry Desert (SMB 3-1)
2-2 Green Grassland (SMB 3-2)
2-3 Sandy Skies (SMB 3-3)
2-A Obscure Oasis (SMB 5-2)
2-4 Vast Volcano (TLL A-1)
2-T Bowser Junior's Sand Castle (SMB 3-4)
2-5 Snailcorn Clouds (TLL A-3 // Will eventually be swapped with a different level)
2-6 Shroomy Heavens (TLL 5-3)
2-C Mummipokey's Flaming Pyramid (TLL 5-4)

Bugs and problems I'm aware of but can't yet fix:

-W1 Tower progress path not working no matter what I try.
-Bullet bills and castle red doors have no sound effects.
Also, tower double doors don't play the opening animation when walking through (had to use the red doors from the final boss for now).

I'll be releasing a new download after every 2 worlds I complete.
Posted on 08-07-17, 10:07 pm (rev. 1 by  TruelyJohn64 on 08-07-17, 10:12 pm)
(Words)

Since: 01-03-16
Don't post links to ROMs! (It's widely frowned upon and illegal)
Always make a patch using NSMBe or Xdelta.
Posted on 08-07-17, 11:06 pm
Micro-Goomba
Ultimate Weeb

Posted by TruelyJohn64
Don't post links to ROMs! (It's widely frowned upon and illegal)
Always make a patch using NSMBe or Xdelta.

Ah, sorry I'm new to all this. I'll change it now.
Posted on 08-07-17, 11:10 pm (rev. 1 by  cros107 on 08-07-17, 11:10 pm)
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
Posted by Chronova
I won't be able to provide a video, because I have a crappy laptop and the screen recorder would make Desmume run at about 5 fps.

You can use the "Record AVI" function in Desmume, it slows down the emulation but records at 60fps.
Posted on 08-07-17, 11:11 pm
Micro-Goomba
Ultimate Weeb

Posted by cros107
You can use the "Record AVI" function in Desmume, it slows down the emulation but records at 60fps.

I'll check it out, thanks.
Posted on 08-08-17, 01:53 pm
Red Paratroopa
Random Turtle

Since: 01-23-17
This is looking kinda great! (Even tho it's a SMB/TLL Remake...)
Something that made it kinda weird was how the levels were. Why 3-1 in 2-1? Maybe it's because of design, but it's going to be a weird difficulty jump. Anything else is fine.
Posted on 08-08-17, 06:20 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-28-11
IMO, if you want to get used to NSMB Editor, instead of purely making it only SMB1/TLL, you can try to port other levels from various mario games, like a `Mario Collection` or something like that.

This is because SMB1/TLL aren't that complex, and the only thing one might learn is the restriction of sounds effects or sprite combinations (since some levels can't use them all)

Meanwhile with more complex levels with SMB3 and up, you can see what the game is capable of doing, since you might not be able to recreate all the level has going for.

Posted on 08-08-17, 06:36 pm (rev. 1 by Chronova on 08-08-17, 06:41 pm)
Micro-Goomba
Ultimate Weeb

Posted by Slackot
This is looking kinda great! (Even tho it's a SMB/TLL Remake...)
Something that made it kinda weird was how the levels were. Why 3-1 in 2-1? Maybe it's because of design, but it's going to be a weird difficulty jump. Anything else is fine.

The main reason I changed around the worlds was because world 2 in the original SMB had some water levels that wouldn't really suit a desert theme. I know NSMB's desert does have one water level, but meh. I was already considering moving around a few levels at some point (by exporting and importing each level, then changing around the tileset). I just don't wanna make a SMB mushroom level and place it in a NSMB water level world map slot. Once I've made more levels it'll be easier for me to decide where each one will go, even if putting world 3 SMB levels in world 2 and such doesn't make sense.

As for the difficulty jump, NSMB's physics make SMB (and even Lost Levels) levels kinda easy. If I feel like a level is too hard, I'll tone it down. If I feel like it's too easy, I'll increase enemies or find any way to make it harder.

Thanks for the feedback

Posted by gridatttack
IMO, if you want to get used to NSMB Editor, instead of purely making it only SMB1/TLL, you can try to port other levels from various mario games, like a `Mario Collection` or something like that.

This is because SMB1/TLL aren't that complex, and the only thing one might learn is the restriction of sounds effects or sprite combinations (since some levels can't use them all)

Meanwhile with more complex levels with SMB3 and up, you can see what the game is capable of doing, since you might not be able to recreate all the level has going for.

I do see where you're coming from.. I just can't see any possible way to make SMB3 or Super Mario World levels in NSMBDS. I might give it a go as a little side project.
Plus, doing that would probably mean making custom textures and all that stuff, which I have no knowledge about. There aren't really many tutorials online and I'd probably suck at it all anyway