Pages: 1
Posted on 09-15-16, 12:46 am
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dJh5orZ-18

There are many things that should be tested in two-player mode, if only for the sake of documentation.

* how does going to other areas work, if it works at all?

* do things like events and activators work?

* how about enemies like Boo? bosses?

* examine the code handling win/loss to figure out what were the original intentions -- coop? race? beta videos show Mario and Luigi playing together, occasionally bouncing off eachother, but Mario alone when he reaches the flagpole

* investigate star coins, sprite 264

* find and document all the MvsL-specific code

zrghij
Posted on 09-15-16, 05:46 am
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
That sounds like a good idea. I might test some stuff when I get home and have access to my DSes. I wish I had 2 R4s though so I didn't have to do DLP
Posted on 09-15-16, 11:05 am (rev. 1 by  Hiccup on 09-15-16, 11:07 am)
Birdo

* it acts like when you start a level in mvsl
* some actors seem to have support (unknown if it is intentional though) for two players. e.g. Scale Lift
* basically everything points towards it being a race. i'm pretty sure there was an old press release that outright said it.

I'd certainly be interested in knowing about any unused code like tha. I don't really know how to find it though. Here is a wiki page page for documenting unused mario vs luigi stuff, if anyone discovers anything: http://nsmbhd.net/wiki/Mario_vs_Luigi/
Posted on 09-15-16, 11:53 am

Since: 04-02-13
The amount of code and glitchiness makes me wonder if they ever actually had a mode like this working anything approaching decent at all, or if all trailers/press releases simply embellished the truth.

Posted on 09-15-16, 01:06 pm (rev. 3 by  Hiccup on 09-15-16, 01:11 pm)
Birdo

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2005/05/19/e3-2005-new-super-mario-bros-impressions
Posted by E3 2005 multiplayer demo impressions by IGN
The game also features an extensive two player competition that puts the Nintendo DS' wireless functions to use. In this mode, one player controls Mario, the other Luigi in a race through three different sidescrolling environments. There's a lot of Mario Kart like tricks to pull on the other player, like picking up a lightning bolt that will shrink him super tiny. There are also blue blocks that, when hit, will bring the other player to your location -- it's a good thing if you're behind, but if you're way in the lead you can be screwed by the action. Rings keep track of players' checkpoints just in case they die during the race, bringing them back to the last registered ring when it happens.

I don't there was any press release that described these specific mechanics (lightning, warp), and I've talked to mspeter97 who played one of the E3 2005 demos thinks he remembered a multiplayer one, so IGN are probably telling the truth. There are also other previews by other press sites.

Nintendo did say in a later interview(s?) that the race mode was scrapped for some hardware limitation problem though.

But yeah, I guess there was some embellishment, as all footage/images of the race mode only showed Mario and Luigi in a handful of levels.
Pages: 1