Pages: 12 »
Posted on 06-11-12, 02:33 am (rev. 13 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:24 am)

Since: 06-09-12
This is a fairly simple hack, which keeps the original level design from New Super Mario Bros, but makes the game much more challenging. I'm sure most people would agree that NSMB was rather on the easy side, so this hack is basically designed to add another playthrough for people who are looking for more of a challenge.

ALL levels complete!
http://nsmbhd.net/file/rMZU6PT6qfHAraKo/NSMB2ndQuest_v08.zip

So what is changed?
- More enemies
- Less powerups
- Crazy boss battles
- The two secret worlds (4 & 7) offer an even tougher difficulty level that even the most hardened Mario veterans will struggle to complete.

Posted on 06-11-12, 09:40 am (rev. 1 by unknown object on 06-11-12, 10:04 am)
Buzzy Beetle
I am UO, not UFO.

Since: 08-28-11
Uh......
Posted by Zarxrax
which keeps the original level design from New Super Mario Bros,

I am sorry to be so rude, but... this idea is terrible.
I've seen your level, most levels only change the sprites, this will make game boring.

a more serious problem, don't you think this is stealing Nintendo's idea?
Thay made this game, and you change very few thing, and post it again, say that this is your hack.
I dunno, but I think maybe this's against of the law...

Posted on 06-11-12, 10:01 am
Ninji
xxcvxcvxcbvn

Since: 12-29-11
i had that not to hard idea for my game new super mario bros returns, but it got a little harder than it should be
Posted on 06-13-12, 01:40 am (rev. 1 by Zarxrax on 06-13-12, 01:45 am)

I have now updated it to include World 2. I should be able to finish world 3 within the next few days.

Posted by jdpgamer
i had that not to hard idea for my game new super mario bros returns, but it got a little harder than it should be

Yea, balancing difficulty is a fairly difficult in itself. I was originally hoping to have it get progressively more difficult as it goes on, but some of my levels so far are already getting a bit hard for me to complete on my own, so I am wondering how this will end up once I start working on the later stages.
Posted on 06-18-12, 03:19 pm
Ninji
xxcvxcvxcbvn

do you think you could add pictures/ videos about the game?
Posted on 06-20-12, 09:32 pm (rev. 2 by Zarxrax on 06-20-12, 10:17 pm)

Alright, I have finished world 3 now. I really like how some of these levels turned out
I've added some pictures in the first post now.
Posted on 06-20-12, 10:46 pm (rev. 2 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 02:24 am)
Ninji
xxcvxcvxcbvn

i had that idea about more than 1 of the same boss, if you saw my demo for new super mario bros. returns there are 2 bowsers in the boss, also the game looks harder than I thought it would be
Posted on 06-20-12, 10:58 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
Two occurences of the same boss? You just gotta make sure that it's not too hard.

And not glitchy, either. Doesn't the boss fight end as soon as you beat one of them?

zrghij
Posted on 06-20-12, 11:02 pm
Ninji
xxcvxcvxcbvn

Posted by Mega-Mario
Two occurences of the same boss? You just gotta make sure that it's not too hard.

And not glitchy, either. Doesn't the boss fight end as soon as you beat one of them?

a glitch happend on mine, it happens sometimes when one bowser is in the air when the bridge breaks, and when 1 bowser dies, the other wont die until the bridge breaks.
Posted on 06-20-12, 11:03 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Glitches are bad. If your hack is glitchy, you need to redo it. Nobody wants a hack that could freeze on them or corrupt their savegame after hours of gameplay.

(I'm talking to everyone, not especially you jdpgamer)

zrghij
Posted on 06-20-12, 11:04 pm (rev. 1 by Zarxrax on 06-20-12, 11:05 pm)

Posted by Mega-Mario

Yes, it ends after beating one of them. But its not really glitchy or anything. I ran through it several times with no problems. Not horribly difficult either. I think this boss is much more fun to fight this way
Posted on 06-20-12, 11:06 pm
Ninji
xxcvxcvxcbvn

i might fix it, but it could be hard
Posted on 06-20-12, 11:08 pm
☭ coffee and cream

If you can't fix it, adopt a different design. You can't just let glitches in.

zrghij
Posted on 06-27-12, 08:10 pm (rev. 1 by Zarxrax on 06-27-12, 08:13 pm)

I have added Worlds 5 and 6 now. These two aren't changed quite as much as some of the previous levels, because the difficulty was already pretty decent. I have also gone back through and fixed a couple of problems in the earlier levels. And there is one big change overall... For the powerup block at the beginning of every level, it will now typically only give a mushroom, rather than a flower. You can still get flowers from the power up blocks midway through the stage. I just felt that it was kinda lame to give the player a powerup right at the beginning of the stage that will let you waltz right through the level.

If anyone is trying this out, I would love any feedback that you can provide, such as any parts that you think should be changed.
Posted on 06-28-12, 04:09 pm
☭ coffee and cream

What if players start your level with Fire Mario already? You should make sure that your levels are roughly equally challenging no matter what powerup the player uses.

zrghij
Posted on 06-28-12, 06:34 pm (rev. 2 by Zarxrax on 06-28-12, 06:40 pm)

Posted by Mega-Mario
What if players start your level with Fire Mario already? You should make sure that your levels are roughly equally challenging no matter what powerup the player uses.

Right, of course I considered that. The problem with the fire flower powerup is that it lets you just bypass almost any enemies that are in front of you. It doesn't matter if I had set up a difficult jump over a boomerang brother--someone with a fireflower can just shoot a fireball and walk on through.

I don't want to remove them altogether because that would really change the game too much. I finally decided that just removing them from the first powerup box will go a long ways towards making the player actually earn their powerups, instead of just handing them over on a silver platter.
If you start the level with one, then you earned it by managing to finish out another stage without getting hit. This simple change still ensures that you don't get yet ANOTHER one right at the beginning to go into reserve.
Posted on 06-28-12, 06:43 pm
Birdo

Posted by Zarxrax
Posted by Mega-Mario

Right, of course I considered that. The problem with the fire flower powerup is that it lets you just bypass almost any enemies that are in front of you. It doesn't matter if I had set up a difficult jump over a boomerang brother--someone with a fireflower can just shoot a fireball and walk on through.

I don't want to remove them altogether because that would really change the game too much. I finally decided that just removing them from the first powerup box will go a long ways towards making the player actually earn their powerups, instead of just handing them over on a silver platter.
If you start the level with one, then you earned it by managing to finish out another stage without getting hit. This simple change still ensures that you don't get yet ANOTHER one right at the beginning to go into reserve.

You could simply disable the inventory in the levels header.
Posted on 06-28-12, 08:00 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
No, no, no, no. Why disable the fireflower?

If you want to increase difficulty, removing powerups or making "enemy hells" is NOT the way to go. It doesn't make for interesting levels.

You should make levels interesting, with challenging combinations of enemies and jumps, moving platforms, etc. And secrets. But don't make them impossible to find. That's good level design.

Trust me, if you have good level design, it is possible to make levels that are difficult even with fireflower. If you need to disable the fireflower for levels to be challenging you're doing something wrong.

Not to mention that removing fireflowers, and disabling the inventory, would be very confusing to the player.
Posted on 06-29-12, 07:10 am
Buzzy Beetle
I am UO, not UFO.

Since: 08-28-11
Posted by Dirbaio
Trust me, if you have good level design, it is possible to make levels that are difficult even with fireflower.

I agree with don't disable fire flower, but when does fire flower make things harder? I only know Mario will stuck at some 1-block height roads, but I think that's not what were you mean.
Posted on 06-29-12, 12:03 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
No, I didn't mean that the fireflower can make levels harder. I mean that it's possible to make levels that are hard, even if the player can have fireflowers.
Pages: 12 »