Pages: 1
Posted on 08-05-18, 09:05 am
KingYoshi rereg.

Since: 12-21-17
I'm afraid my memory is bad. It's been half a year since I did Worldmap hacking. I was going through the Worldmap doc by Ray and Freeze again the other day, and quite a lot of it looked weird to me. Well, everything did seem familiar, but I just don't get all of it anymore, which is a real shame.

One thing that keeps confusing me is how Data Paths, Object Paths, Data Nodes and Object Nodes are connected with each other.

Another thing that isn't clear to me is if wX_move.nsbca is Mario's animations (like the doc's first page seems to say) or the paths on the map model (like the screenshot of Maya seems to suggest, as the term "moveXX" is also used there as well).

Last thing, which is more modelling related, is how Mario's movements could be defined by an NSBCA file. I mean, NSBCA files are usually meant for the animations of the model itself only (moving arms and legs and stuff). When the animations of Mario in a level are broken, the then static model will still move to the left or right when the player uses the arrow keys.
Posted on 08-05-18, 10:29 am
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
Isn't Ray and Freeze's map editor obsolete? I think you should be using Ricbent's.
Posted on 08-05-18, 10:31 am
KingYoshi rereg.

Posted by cros107
Isn't Ray and Freeze's map editor obsolete? I think you should be using Ricbent's.

I'm talking about their guide.. not about their editor. Only Ray and Freeze released a guide.
Posted on 08-05-18, 07:47 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
Each path on the world map can select any path animation it wants as it has a field to select a moveXX with an id.

Also their docs are obsolete as well. My structs are basically complete and fix a ton of errors in their docs.

If you just want to create a custom map there is basically no reason to do it yourself as Goombatlas does that for you perfectly.
Posted on 08-05-18, 08:32 pm
KingYoshi rereg.

@RicBent Did you happen to make any documentation or guide that is clearer than Ray and Freeze's?
Posted on 08-05-18, 08:43 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
Yeah, this post contains the entire worldmap structure in C-like syntax:

https://nsmbhd.net/thread/3422-literally-everything-you-need-to-know-about-worldmap-editing/?from=60#52972

Also using their guide to create maps is a bad idea as it misses how to have entirely custom amounts of paths/nodes/etc.
If you take a look at the output C files of Goombatlas the worldmap structure becomes way clearer than thru the docs
Posted on 08-05-18, 08:53 pm (rev. 1 by  Bloom, Fairy of Fire on 08-05-18, 08:53 pm)
KingYoshi rereg.

To be honest, that C stuff doesn't make me much wiser..

I was thinking of giving Worldmap hacking another try. The last time I tried, I was intending to convert an existing NSBMD file to DAE and then convert it back to NSBMD. But there were problems with the changed model structure (nodes) after conversion, which I couldn't fix.

I think you might underestimate how hard this part of NSMB hacking can be to some people. xD

But what makes is hard as well is that noone else is working on custom worldmaps and custom worldmap models, so you can't really work together on finding out how to do it. I hope I'll eventually get it to work.
Posted on 08-05-18, 09:40 pm
Fuzzy
Will never finish a hack

Since: 03-25-16
Oh, derp, misread your post. Sorry about that.