Pages: 1
Posted on 09-18-11, 08:02 pm
Buster Beetle

Since: 06-29-11
I have been testing these all day today. The data is a little more accurate, but I think there is more to it. There is a new feature available in some. Mario can pass between the sprites and the stop will be disabled allowing Mario and the camera to continue moving. At first I thought the dimension were in pixels. But I think they are on/off for disable, and the second number I am not sure of. The nybbles are 8 and 9. They were set as 8-9 before. But I believe they are 8=enable/disable and 9=Unknown

I think these may also tie into the camera view settings. So that you select a level default, and these may also toggle the view settings in precise areas. More testing is needed though.
Posted on 09-18-11, 08:15 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Great

The scroll stops are weird. From what I've seen, their behavior is "If mario is between the two limit sprites AND it is on the limited side, then limit the camera". So if Mario goes out of the limit, either sideways or right through it, the scroll stop will make no effect. Same happens for the horizontal scroll stops, but the limit is made with a single sprite.

That'd explain that "new feature" you found.

It's also interesting to note how Nintendo works-around those limitations. See for example the top of the elevator in W5 ghost house. There's a totally unneded horizontal platform right there. But it's in fact needed to avoid the horizontal scroll stop along all the elevator to glitch. Same goes for the two boxes right under the elevator. They're used to avoid the camera glitching when entering the limited camera region

You can see a similar thing with vertical scroll stops at 2-4 area 1, right where the level goes down with the pipes. There's a vertical wall right over the 199 sprite to avoid it to glitch

Not sure what you mean with the dimensions not being pixels though

(Also, seeing that you like consistent names, it would probably be a good idea to rename them to "Camera controller - XXX")
Posted on 09-19-11, 12:55 am (rev. 1)
Buster Beetle

Since: 06-29-11
The nybble. For instance the editor before I changed it was giving 8-9 as a single value. So 16 would equal 1 tile. A lot of the original roms values are 16,18 Which made me believe it was 1, 1 1/4 tile, 1 1/2 tiles or in other words 16 pixels 18 pixels. But, then values between 1 and 2 did nothing. So I changed the data to nybble 8 as a value, and 0,1,2 as another function. This seems like a lot more likely to be the case. As nothing change as far as disabling the limit.

Any chance of getting access to the view details? I think I see some things consistent in my testing.
Pages: 1