Pages: 1
Posted on 09-08-11, 08:14 pm
Buster Beetle

Since: 06-29-11
I have added more data to each of these. I am getting closer to finishing their sprite data. If anyone knows anything about these, let me know. I know what most things do. I also have a good idea of what the "unknown" data is. More testing is needed, and I am out of time for the day.
Posted on 09-12-11, 12:50 pm (rev. 3)
Buster Beetle

A lot of data added to the 107 ? sprite. I have found a lot of new modes and uses. There is a strange activation function that the sprite uses overall. There is kind of an "on" mode and an "off" mode. The game can see the sprites coming in and out of each. That is why I am sure a lot of use have had troubles with them not working correctly.

Also, I found that the 197 will activate things as well. Although I need to figure out how exactly this works. If you set input to 1 and output to 2 on one sprite. And input to 2 and output 1 on the other, they will trigger at the same time. So you can activate both with either ID 1 or 2.

edit... Ah, I thought of a better way to explain it. Not only are there input/output functions, but there are also on/off functions of activators at the same time. So there are a lot of combinations possible. None of which have been selectable before. I am trying to figure out a way with the editor database to select these functions accurately, and in a way that will make sense.

edit...edit...Still messing with the on/off. This is very confusing. I am getting close to having it understood though. It is looking as if the game flags on or off mode for everything. Kind of like there is only one layer for tiles images, there can only be one mode on or off at a time. This is just a theory, but I made a crapload of switches with various settings. Setting the input and output back into each other.

Stay on forever also has a big impact on switch activation, especially with the 168 sprites. It seems that data is left behind if on forever is selected. This explains why sometimes they do not behave properly. I almost have this figured out though. It has something to do with the nybble 10 "activation mode". That data needs to be worked on. The value 2 "blue coins" option sometimes fixes a non working 168 with zone. This may really be an on/off/ignore switch....just a theory.

Again, if anyone wants to join in to test some or all of this new data or give feedback. I need to get back onto my hack as I am close to final release.
Posted on 09-12-11, 03:48 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Wow, these are really great finds!

The 197 "chain-activation" thing is weird though. I wonder why was it coded like that in the first place...

Maybe I can do some ASM hacking to debug all this shit
Posted on 09-13-11, 02:31 am
Buster Beetle

The on/off stuff is killing me. I still can't find the pattern between the on/off functions. Even the IDs can be a little tricky.

It may be possible that the input output is a mated pair like the 198/199 scroll limits. Where input will trigger output irrespective. I don't know. It will all come down to the descriptions for the nybbles getting closer to accurate. The IDs are getting stable, but the on/offs not so much. I have been changing the descriptions as I try and figure things out.

I have got it to where when you copy and paste between the sprite types, the data is more consistent. Try doing the old 168/197 combos.
Posted on 09-14-11, 06:59 am (rev. 1)
Buster Beetle

Big news!

So nybble 11 is a major player in the 168 sprite activation. It watches for the input ID of another sprite. I am still playing with all the activators data, but I am getting closer and closer to having them completely consistent.

...and somehow I had a delay between activation working with nybble 5 of all the switches. Now I can't seem to get it to work. It appears to have a 0-15 activation and 0 seemed to have the most delay. But, something else needs to be selected in order for delay to work. I don't know what. It is possible that this only works with blue coins and not blocks.
Posted on 12-11-11, 05:27 am
Goomba

Since: 11-04-11
I READ THIS AND I STILL DONT GET WHY WHEN I PUT THREE IN A LEVEL (all different ids) that when one gets pressed they all activate.

Posted on 12-11-11, 09:12 am

Since: 06-28-11
Posted by ferret224
I READ THIS AND I STILL DONT GET WHY WHEN I PUT THREE IN A LEVEL (all different ids) that when one gets pressed they all activate.

Hmmm... What is their Sprite Data?
Post it here (inside a spoiler) please, thanks.
Then we can help you.
Posted on 12-11-11, 12:55 pm (rev. 1)
Buster Beetle

Posted by ferret224

Three what? Three 168 sprites? With the 168 you have to have different IDs and different zones selected. You can tie one zone to 3 different IDs. The zone can only be entered once. But you can also have 3 different zones tied to one ID. Make sure neither of these are the case. If you don't select a Mario zone in the 168, by inputting 255, this will tie them whole level together under the zone.
Posted on 12-12-11, 02:09 am
Goomba

yeah sorry orange event ? block and the data works in some and not others (target ids 2,3,4 triggering ids 0,0,0 never time out, affected by gravity)
Posted on 12-12-11, 06:22 am (rev. 1)
Buster Beetle

Posted by ferret224
yeah sorry orange event ? block and the data works in some and not others (target ids 2,3,4 triggering ids 0,0,0 never time out, affected by gravity)

Target? Trigger? Sounds like you are using an old sprite DB file. Update your spritedata and/or use a higher revision number. The descriptions will be a lot better. Target and trigger, do not accurately describe what the sprites do.

It sounds like you may also have it set to toggle with another switch. I need all the data though. Post a screen of each switches settings.

Also it is possible you have bad sprite data transferring over. This happens with the current system when you copy and paste sprites. You cannot see it with the sprite data. It only shows up in the hex.
Posted on 12-14-11, 06:21 pm (rev. 1)
Goomba

I have the updated sprite text and it still looks like this. (Without connections)
http://ferret224smodworld.wordpress.com/#wpcom-carousel-7