Do you use Anti-Virus?
No
Yes
17 users have voted so far.
Pages: 1
Posted on 08-29-11, 07:17 pm (rev. 1)
Banned for being a complete idiot.

Since: 07-09-11
The answer's very obvious, but just curious.

I don't use Anti-virus (as you can probably tell from my new sig.)

EDIT:

I guess the answer isn't obvious
Posted on 08-30-11, 02:39 am
Tananananana~ That's Life Experience!

Since: 07-18-11
I use avast! Antivirus. Not that I've ever HAD virus problems, but it doesn't hurt to have one in the background.

Posted on 08-30-11, 12:17 pm
AxewAxew

Since: 07-02-11
^ Actually it could hurt your performance slightly.

I don't use Anti-Virus software, I've gone multiple years without ever being infected with anything on Windows.
And on Linux, none too, obviously.
Posted on 08-30-11, 04:55 pm (rev. 1)
Koopa

Since: 08-05-11
I don't use anti-virus and haven't.
Posted on 08-30-11, 08:03 pm

Posted by Niko

I don't use Anti-Virus software, I've gone multiple years without ever being infected with anything on Windows.

Not only does it hurt performance, closed source antivirus programs tend to do very weird things, and annoying things without telling you.
Posted on 08-31-11, 04:31 am

Posted by Niko

Doesn't bother me as I have a fairly powerful PC, anyway. And even if I have never had any problems, I prefer to avoid the risk. If it ever becomes a problem I'll get rid of it.

Posted on 09-14-11, 05:08 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
6 people are playing a dangerous game.

My sister used to not use an antivirus. One day, her PC refused to launch her favourite game. It would also refuse to launch the Task Manager or anything that wasn't Explorer, unless booted in failsafe mode. Installing an antivirus was also impossible, because some runtime lacked (and installing it in failsafe mode was impossible because 'windoze instaler cant run in failsafe mode lololol'). So I just reinstalled a new OS over the old one, installed avast! and ran a global virus scan. 21 viruses were found, chances are that some were relating to the mysterious problems.

So yeah, I use an antivirus. No impact on performance so far. The only thing that can affect performance critically is when I explore a lot in Minecraft while running Firefox. Minecraft consumes more and more memory when exploring, probably chunks going out of view not getting freed, so at some point things start lagging to death. Aside from that, no problem...

zrghij
Posted on 09-14-11, 10:48 pm (rev. 1)

Posted by Mega-Mario
6 people are playing a dangerous game.

My sister used to not use an antivirus. One day, her PC refused to launch her favourite game. It would also refuse to launch the Task Manager or anything that wasn't Explorer, unless booted in failsafe mode. Installing an antivirus was also impossible, because some runtime lacked (and installing it in failsafe mode was impossible because 'windoze instaler cant run in failsafe mode lololol'). So I just reinstalled a new OS over the old one, installed avast! and ran a global virus scan. 21 viruses were found, chances are that some were relating to the mysterious problems.

So yeah, I use an antivirus. No impact on performance so far. The only thing that can affect performance critically is when I explore a lot in Minecraft while running Firefox. Minecraft consumes more and more memory when exploring, probably chunks going out of view not getting freed, so at some point things start lagging to death. Aside from that, no problem...

Do good computing practices. Then it's not dangerous.
Posted on 09-15-11, 02:01 pm

Posted by ELMario

You fail to realize that even completely 'safe' sites can contain viruses. It's not always the fault of who runs the site either. The internet is a hostile place. People are always finding ways to bypass your "good computing practices"
in fact, I'd consider myself to be maintaining my PC quite well. But that's not to say I haven't had threats. They've never been fatal, but you know that's beside the point. In general, having Antivirus is a good idea. It's never been a performance problem for me nor anyone I know who has it, unless well, they have sort of problem. And it's really all about choosing the right antivirus.

So if your computer ever crashes, slows down, or things start corrupting, maybe you'll think about how effective your computer practices are in the long run. You know that, for all you know, your computer could be infected, right now. I'd take that into account, and personally, I see that as much more important that say, the few MB of memory that my antivirus uses in the background being lost.

So basically, your "Good computing practices" will only go so far. And what you're also doing, is telling the average PC user that they shouldn't have Antivirus. Which is just silly.
So really, "Good computing practices" should include at least some simple antivirus, even if rather than leaving it in the background, you just run it once a month or something.

Posted on 09-15-11, 02:03 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
I can tell from my own experience that sister's computers (specially younger sisters) tend to break FAR more often than one's computers. Probably because of the crap they download. My sister managed to completely fuck up beyond repair her ubuntu laptop! I had to reinstall everything.

OMG LOOK! This firefox addon lets me add themes to my facebook profile page!! awsum even though I'm the only one that sees it!!! wooow! And look! If I copy-paste this javascript snippet in the address bar it tells me who has visited my profile page!!!1!
Posted on 09-15-11, 10:57 pm (rev. 1)

Posted by Tana~
Posted by ELMario

You fail to realize that even completely 'safe' sites can contain viruses. It's not always the fault of who runs the site either. The internet is a hostile place. People are always finding ways to bypass your "good computing practices"
in fact, I'd consider myself to be maintaining my PC quite well. But that's not to say I haven't had threats. They've never been fatal, but you know that's beside the point. In general, having Antivirus is a good idea. It's never been a performance problem for me nor anyone I know who has it, unless well, they have sort of problem. And it's really all about choosing the right antivirus.

So if your computer ever crashes, slows down, or things start corrupting, maybe you'll think about how effective your computer practices are in the long run. You know that, for all you know, your computer could be infected, right now. I'd take that into account, and personally, I see that as much more important that say, the few MB of memory that my antivirus uses in the background being lost.

So basically, your "Good computing practices" will only go so far. And what you're also doing, is telling the average PC user that they shouldn't have Antivirus. Which is just silly.
So really, "Good computing practices" should include at least some simple antivirus, even if rather than leaving it in the background, you just run it once a month or something.

It's not just about removing AV, it's much much more than that. If I try to explain it, it will be way to long.
It's true that the browsers may have exploits too, but I don't browse random shit websites, so it's very unlikely I will get a virus by browsing the web.

Posted by Dirbaio
I can tell from my own experience that sister's computers (specially younger sisters) tend to break FAR more often than one's computers. Probably because of the crap they download. My sister managed to completely fuck up beyond repair her ubuntu laptop! I had to reinstall everything.

OMG LOOK! This firefox addon lets me add themes to my facebook profile page!! awsum even though I'm the only one that sees it!!! wooow! And look! If I copy-paste this javascript snippet in the address bar it tells me who has visited my profile page!!!1!

Yup, that's an example of someone who doesn't know good computing practices.
Posted on 09-16-11, 05:15 am (rev. 1)

I don't care if it's long. You explain it to me, or I'm going to think it's bullshit. And who cares if you don't browse "random shit" websites? You still have as much a chance as anyone else of getting infected. Like I said, you could be right now.
So please, educate me if you think you're so smart. I'd like to know how you think it's bad to have antivirus. because my bullshit meter is overflowing right now.

Posted on 09-16-11, 04:42 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-28-11
IMO, why waste time learning something that seems dangerous, if having an antivirus covers it?

Posted on 09-16-11, 10:48 pm

Posted by gridatttack
IMO, why waste time learning something that seems dangerous, if having an antivirus covers it?

I learned it a long time ago, before I even knew AV existed.
Posted on 09-17-11, 12:28 am

Posted by ELMario
Posted by gridatttack

I learned it a long time ago, before I even knew AV existed.

My bullshit meter is still ringing off the chart, mate. Besides, Gridattack is right. If you don't know it, why learn? The only thing it's going to do it put you at risk. because it honestly just sounds like you're trying to be smart.

Posted on 09-18-11, 09:39 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Posted by ELMario
I don't browse random shit websites, so it's very unlikely I will get a virus by browsing the web.

Did you miss the 'even legit sites can get infected' part or something?

An example is a virus someone ran across on his ABXD board. The virus edits the site's javascript pages to reference scripts coming from sites such as pocketbloke.ru or inkrainbow.ru. Said scripts will probably try to install shit on your computer and possibly spread the virus, or spy on you, or whatever crap.

Let's apply this example to a wider scale. Some malicious hacker somehow breaks into Google's servers, and modifies the google.com page to link to malicious scripts. Google isn't a 'random shit website', yet it infects you as soon as you open it. And similar stuff can happen to Facebook or even this very board.

zrghij
Posted on 09-19-11, 01:36 pm (rev. 1)

Posted by Mega-Mario
Did you miss the 'even legit sites can get infected' part or something?

An example is a virus someone ran across on his ABXD board. The virus edits the site's javascript pages to reference scripts coming from sites such as pocketbloke.ru or inkrainbow.ru. Said scripts will probably try to install shit on your computer and possibly spread the virus, or spy on you, or whatever crap.

Let's apply this example to a wider scale. Some malicious hacker somehow breaks into Google's servers, and modifies the google.com page to link to malicious scripts. Google isn't a 'random shit website', yet it infects you as soon as you open it. And similar stuff can happen to Facebook or even this very board.

This. Thankyou.

Posted on 09-19-11, 03:44 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted on 09-20-11, 05:14 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Javascript isn't the only infection vector. There's also Flash and many others.

And setting script/Flash/etc black/whitelists can become a pain in the ass imo.

zrghij
Posted on 09-20-11, 06:45 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Honestly, it isn't for me

I have NoScript installed in every OS/computer I have and I use it everyday. Just browse normally, and when you see a legit page that's not working properly, just "Allow scripts for this page" and that's it
Pages: 1