Pages: 1
Posted on 10-03-15, 04:39 pm (rev. 6 by  Hiccup on 03-15-20, 04:48 pm)
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
If you think you can help understanding any of these, please post!

Purpose and workings of file formats
* uiStudio
* .bnbl
* .bncl
* Various locations
** some ncl.bin
** .bmg
* map
** .nsbtp
Files
* Minigame files in ARCHIVE
* Files in BG_chk
* Final VS levels in the course folder - are they used in multi-card play? they are
* How the files in the BG_pnl and BG_chk folders are for the tilesets exactly?
* If these files in obj are used:
** A_hyouji_8bit_ncg.bin
** A_OBJ_item_fontM_01_ncg.bin
** A_text_marioluigi_ncg.bin
** I_kaidan_ncg.bin
** I_kemuri_l_ncg.bin
** I_nokonoko256_ncg.bin
** I_nokonoko_ncg.bin
** I_obj_kemuri_ncg.bin
** I_obj_kira_l_ncg.bin
** I_obj_kira_ncg.bin
** I_obj_sunakemuri_ncg.bin
** I_obj_yajirushi_ncg.bin
** I_obj_yougan_ncg.bin
** OBJ_O_flag_o_u_ncg.bin

Other
* Most of the non-filesystem stuff (arm9 etc) isn't documented. Like narc files in arm9
* All course header data.
* All the actor data.
* Its not known if all the player and hammer bro animations are used.
* Why certain course actors crash (e.g. Chain Chomp with the unused nybble set StapleButter explained this, special exit controller).
* If certain actors are spawned by other actors (e.g. is Unchained Chomp spawned by Chain Chomp, is Lakitu spawned by Lakitu spawner?)
* What most of the differences between different versions of the game are.
* Most of the unused behaviours of course actors.
* Are all the switch frames used? http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/newsupermariobros/sheet/65860/ Yes, thanks Arctus Platner.
* Can any of the unused paths be uncovered, maybe getting a secret exit in levels that don't normally have secret exits?
* Are all the .spa particles used?
* What pallete these use:
** obj\OBJ_O_redcoin_number_ncg.bin
* Is everything in W_kinoko_ncg.bin used?
* Is there a pattern to files being compressed/uncompressed
* Does the file offset tell you anything about the data of files or the order they were put in the game?
* What the meanings of certain abbreviations in filenames etc., are.
* Why does the background glitch out after certain types of crashes? StapleButter explained this
* is there a system to the different layers objects are on? like in NSMBW.
* some objects in jyotyu (like camera control ones)
Posted on 10-03-15, 06:28 pm
Red Paratroopa
Friend of N64s and DSes

Since: 07-26-15
As far as I know, the files in script are used for the pause menu and such.
Posted on 10-03-15, 06:29 pm
Birdo

Yeah, but I don't think the format is fully understood.
Posted on 10-03-15, 06:50 pm (rev. 2 by  Arisotura on 10-03-15, 07:00 pm)
☭ coffee and cream

Some can be easily answered.

"Why does the background glitch out after certain types of crashes?"

The background is animated by HDMA. There's a table in memory holding the scroll offsets for each scanline, or something in the like. If a crash overwrites that, well, you guess how your background goes.

"Does the file order tell you anything about the data of files or the order they were put in the game?"

From what I could observe, the IDs follow the files' alphabetical ordering (as well as that of their parent folders). Could be wrong though.

"Explanations for mysterious areas in levels that mess up stuff, as reported by ray"

what?

"What pallete these use:
** obj\OBJ_O_redcoin_number_ncg.bin"

Should be pretty easy to find out with desmume's tools.

"Why certain course actors crash (e.g. Chain Chomp with the unused nybble set, special exit controller)"

I have a theory that the Chain Chomp nybble would cause the pole to be a half-block to the left or something (which would be fitting with how it's placed in its level). I don't quite get why that would cause a crash, though.

Speaking of unused level 3, the 'multiple BGs' mode it uses isn't well documented.

* the feature would allow selecting different BGs and tilesets per area
* multiple BG/tileset slots are possible-- the areas have 3 bytes for selecting which slots should be used
* in practice, the code for this feature is incomplete. Jyotyu palette switching is the only part that works properly.
* the background code is inconsistent-- if multiple BG slots exist, the game will read properties from different slots (and maybe ignore the area's BG settings, don't remember), resulting in a broken background
* the feature appears to have been planned for an older engine revision, where the VRAM layout was different (and the end castle tileset wasn't a thing)
* the small corrupted room in unused level 3 uses objects from tileset 2. Was supposed to be an underground tileset, presumably. In the final engine this is the end castle tileset. I don't really remember how the tileset ID mapped to the tileset slots, though.
* maybe it was supposed to load all the graphics at once? seems inefficient, but there was no (proper) code for reloading graphics between areas

zrghij
Posted on 10-03-15, 07:00 pm (rev. 2 by  Arctus Platner on 10-03-15, 07:04 pm)
Red Paratroopa
Friend of N64s and DSes

I went to edit the palette for the scoring graphics(100, 200, 400, 800, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 1up) and when I did, the palette for the red coin number graphics changed as well, and the palette is in \uistudio\UI_O_1P_game_in_o_ud_ncl.bin, so I think that might be it, but it also needs to be compressed to be viewed.
Posted on 10-03-15, 09:16 pm
Birdo

Thanks.

About the file 'order': I meant file offset.
Posted on 10-10-15, 04:18 am (rev. 1 by  Arctus Platner on 10-10-15, 04:22 am)
Red Paratroopa
Friend of N64s and DSes

I just used frame advance in desmume to check and see if those frames of the switches are used at all, and they are, but only when you press the switch, it seems.
Posted on 05-21-16, 09:27 pm (rev. 1 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 03:20 am)

Since: 05-26-15
Posted by Hiccup
* uiStudio/** some ncl.bin

What do you exactly mean?

Posted by Hiccup
** .bmg

The BMG are used for In-Level pause scripts, Worldmap's pause scripts, and for the Titlescreen's File Select scripts (I mean Copy File, Delete File, etc...)

They can be edited:

Original Worldmap's scripts

Modified Worldmap's scripts

The video tutorial (not by me) can be found here:

course.bmg: it have the Worldmap's scripts (like Continue, Quit, Options, Save, Challenge mode, You need 5 star coins to... etc...);
data.bmg: it have the Titlescreen's File Select scripts ( Select a file to copy, Select a file, Select a file to copy to, Erase file, File erased etc...);
game.bgm: it have the In-level's scripts ( Continue, Return to map, Options, Quit etc...).

You can download MKDScm here. (This is not the last version!)

Posted by Hiccup
* If these files in obj are used:
** I_nokonoko256_ncg.bin
** I_nokonoko_ncg.bin

I_nokonoko256_ncg.bin is used, it use I_enemy_ncl.bin.
I_nokonoko_ncg.bin seems not used...

Posted by Hiccup
* Minigame files in ARCHIVE

The ARCHIVE folder has in it the minigames graphics, exactly NCG NCL NSC and some BNCL, and the Multiplayer Mode stuff. When I was searching for the character icons, I have opened a lot of .narc archive, and in everyone I have opened, there was only the graphics.

Posted by Hiccup
* .bncl

Posted by KingYoshi
- Bottom Screen stuff which are inconstant and/or not permanently visible (like amount of coins, amount of Mario's lifes, etc.) use *.bncl files. To modify them, you'll need MKDSce and this tutorial.

You can edit the .BNCL files with this tutorial.

----------

I hope all this helps.

Pages: 1