Pages: 1
Posted on 09-17-14, 08:24 am
Red Cheep-cheep

Since: 01-09-14
I want to make a test level with horizontal auto-scroll in it. I have look at multiple threads on this forum, I have looked at actual levels with auto-scroll, but I don't understand what I need to do to get it to work.
Can someone help me out?
Posted on 09-17-14, 12:23 pm
Red Koopa

Since: 05-11-13
Generally:
The easiest way to get something to work exactly as it is in the original game is just to copy it from the original level.
Then try to look on the things and think about how it could work. Try to edit something or something like that and see what changes.

Specific example auto scroll:

Let's take a look at 1-1. Just take the view and reduce it to the minimum height. Make a new path and place it horizontal just where the autoscroll should start and vertical in the middle of the view! That means five tiles over it are free and 6 under it. When you look at it's data insert the speed the autoscroll should have at Unknown 1 and the acceleration to reach the speed at Unknown 3. Originally Unknown 1 is something about 1700 and Unknown 3 is 16. After that just add a second path node by holding STRG/CTRL and clicking on the path. Place it where the autoscroll should end, but still at the same height as the first one! Take the auto scroll sprite and type the node of your path the auto scroll should start at
(Just leave 0 because of course it's the first one. But if there's a midway point like in the original level or if you came out from a additional entrance then you need a minimum of 3 path nodes [ start, midway/other, end]. In this cases you just add a pathnode and type it's number in the auto scroll's settings)
Then insert the ID of your path, choose horizontal or vertical and leave the rest out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know in detail how a auto scroll with a midway point works, just look at W5-4.
But the "Midway" setting of the auto scroll sprite isnt used there too because you can also do it with a second path node.
What the Unknown setting does, is how your auto scroll ends.
The rest are just Input and Output things as you know them from other sprites.

So just try the midway setting, the unknown setting and the activator things out if you want, but they're not necessary.

(Bare in mind that a progress path is not the same as a path!!!)
Pages: 1