Pages: 1
Posted on 09-13-14, 12:16 am

Since: 06-27-14
Hi again guys,

Back in the day when I was into Super Mario World hacking, one of the common things I did in my hack of that game was making one 16 x 16 tile behave like another tile (especially when I was making slopes, and using graphics from outside the game), so I was wondering, how can I do basically the same thing here with NSMB hacking?

In 1-2, I was planning on having a "2 x 1" pipe (basically, a pipe that is two or more tiles high, but with only the top row of tiles looking like the actual pipe) with a fire breathing Piranha Plant in it near a couple of slopes, but when the Piranha Plant goes back into the pipe, it is partially visible, hence why I wish I knew how to change the properties of the tiles underneath the pipe so that the game would think they were pipes.

If someone could help me out here, that would be much appreciated.
Posted on 09-13-14, 01:02 am
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Every 16x16 tile is composed of 4 8x8 tiles from the tileset graphics, you can change these in the Map16 tab of the tileset editor. Additionally, every 16x16 tile has a "tile behavior" you can change in its corresponding tab.

BUT, about the "custom pipe". The tile behaviors don't control whether the tile displays on top or under sprites

The reason for this is that the level tiles are all rendered in one BG layer, while most of the sprites are drawn in the 3D layer, which has higher priority than the level layer. I think the SNES has per-tile priorities, that's probably how they do the pipes in SMW, but the DS doesn't have this thing.

So what Nintendo did to fix this is draw the pipes as 3D polygons on top of the sprites. The files for these are 3D textures, stored in polygon_unit. The Map16 tile numbers for these are hardcoded: there are some map16 tiles that magically draw a 3D texture. They did this for pipes, quicksand, the ending castle, the unused water in tileset 0, the fences and maybe more stuff.

So it's not easy to create your own pipes, the only way to do it is with ASM hacking creating your own 3D texture, adding it, loading it and having it display on your map16 tile numbers. I'm not sure how easy it is, it's not been done yet...
Posted on 09-13-14, 05:14 am (rev. 1 by  MarioSunshine on 09-13-14, 05:15 am)
Fuzz Ball
KirbyFanatic64 (LOL)

Since: 11-13-11
You can at least change the texture of the pipe as you desire. Look for the pipe texture in polygon_unit called l_dokan.nsbtx.

Great games must be fun, not fancy.

Music Hacker needed! PM me if you wish!
Pages: 1