Pages: 1
Posted on 09-11-14, 09:17 pm

Since: 06-27-14
Hi guys,

Hopefully I have this topic in the right place...anyway, I've been noticing a few enemies can stand on top of moving platform sprites, such as Pokeys on some of the vertical moving platforms (sprite 68), but I've been wondering just what it is that allows these kind of things to happen?

As an example I've been trying to get right, there's a part of 1-2 in my hack where I've been trying to use sprite 68 with a giant Piranha Plant, but when I get to the screen, the Piranha Plant doesn't appear (there is a pit under the platform here)...so I wish to know, is there something ASM-related I have to do to make this work? If so, could someone tell me, please? I'd like to get this part to work right.

Thanks in advance.
Posted on 09-11-14, 09:43 pm
Red Koopa

Since: 05-11-13
Could you upload your level file (.nml) or a patch (.nmp) of your level ?
So that we can have a look at it
Posted on 09-11-14, 09:43 pm (rev. 1 by  TRS on 09-11-14, 09:44 pm)
Doesn't actually do anything.

Since: 10-22-12
It sounds like the vertical platform is higher than the piranha plant when it spawns, so it falls in the pit. If you're placing the sprite directly above the platform, instead place it above the highest point of the platform's path. This should ensure it always spawns above the platform.

If that doesn't work,  Baby Bowser's suggestion sounds like a good idea.
♪♫♩♬
Posted on 09-12-14, 12:05 am

Since: 06-27-14
Okay, I got it working, thanks guys.

But how would I get a giant Piranha Plant to stay on a horizontal moving platform (sprite 69 in this case)? Somehow this situation is more difficult than getting one on top of a vertical moving platform.
Posted on 09-12-14, 12:28 am
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Yeah, that case is very tricky. You have to ensure that when the piranha plant sprite gets onscreen and gets spawned, the platform is under it... It's hard to do it reliably because the player can move the camera and cause the sprites to spawn at different times, and it won't always work

Nintendo does it in 2-6, but it works fine because the camera there is autoscrolled, so it does not depend on what the player does.
Pages: 1