Pages: 1
Posted on 06-26-14, 06:44 pm (rev. 3 by ImageBot on 11-21-16, 03:00 am)
☭ coffee and cream

Since: 06-26-11
So uh, NSMB's engine isn't done surprising us.

A while ago, it was found that the camera refuses to enter any 16x16 block that is empty. But apparently it's not quite right. See below.

The red block is the one that is interesting. Here, it isn't empty.

When Mario is in the blue block, everything is normal, the camera enters the red block's corner fine.

However, as soon as Mario enters the green block, the camera violently snaps to the green block's border and refuses to enter the red block.

The camera will only enter the red block if I place object 2 from tileset 0 in it. Any other object won't work.

I found it, finally

The block contains object 1, tileset 0. That object prevents the camera from entering the 16x16 block, even if it's not empty.

zrghij
Posted on 06-26-14, 07:43 pm
We do what we must because we can

Since: 06-25-13
So... it does the same like object 5?

My Youtube channel
Best friends forever
Posted on 06-26-14, 11:25 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Yes.

Apparently it was more or less publicly known. I also heard that object 5 doesn't work properly, but that has to be confirmed.

That should be added to the editor's descriptions, as well as one for the solid-invisible object 8.

I hope ray and Freeze haven't been keeping knowledge secret again. I can't count the number of things ray got away with on this board.

zrghij
Posted on 06-27-14, 10:26 am (rev. 1 by  Dirbaio on 06-27-14, 10:27 am)
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Posted by StapleButter
When Mario is in the blue block, everything is normal, the camera enters the red block's corner fine.

However, as soon as Mario enters the green block, the camera violently snaps to the green block's border and refuses to enter the red block.

Yes, that's normal. When a 16x16 block is empty it creates four "implicit" scroll controls at its 4 edges. These scroll controls work the same way as the scroll control sprites: they only affect the camera when Mario is between the borders of the scroll control. That's why the camera can enter an empty block from the corner but not from the edges.

(Probably the 16x16 block scroll controls even uses the same code as the scroll control sprites)

Posted by StapleButter
The camera will only enter the red block if I place object 2 from tileset 0 in it. Any other object won't work.

I found it, finally

The block contains object 1, tileset 0. That object prevents the camera from entering the 16x16 block, even if it's not empty.

Yeah. I think these "special objects" are not special objects, but special tile behaviors. IIRC putting a non-solid tile on a block (behavior 00 00 00 00) won't make it scrollable. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: So maybe we should make the editor mark these objects according to the tile behaviors, not the object numbers?
Posted on 06-27-14, 02:02 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Sounds like a good idea.

And, as I said, make them visible somehow, like in Reggie!.

The editor should also color blocks differently if they contain object 1.

It's also worth noting that object 2 has priority over object 1.

zrghij
Posted on 06-27-14, 04:36 pm
Roy Koopa

Posted by StapleButter
I hope ray and Freeze haven't been keeping knowledge secret again. I can't count the number of things ray got away with on this board.

Are you still not done with this?
1. You can not force us to reveal what we discover.
2. There's nothing more we can share with you.

Man, this is childish. Let bygones be bygones. No need to bring it up again.
Posted on 06-27-14, 04:47 pm
☭ coffee and cream

Posted by ray
1. You can not force us to reveal what we discover.

Of course.

But this is a fucking community. Community means that we share our work and findings, not that we're clans competing against eachother to make the absolute bestest hack.

If you don't like this, don't be a part of a community.

You better be honest when you say you don't have more shit to share. If I find out you're still hiding shit from the community, I won't hesitate to ban you.

Well, whatever. This is going offtopic.

zrghij
Pages: 1