Pages: 1
Posted on 08-01-11, 11:03 pm
Banned for being a complete idiot.

Since: 07-09-11
Hey guys,
I have some suggestions and requests to make.

For the Google project page:
-Can I create development builds of NSMBe when a new revision comes out and post it under the "Downloads" section? If I do, do you want me to create a SFX with 7-zip, simple archive, or an installer (using NSIS) when packaging the binaries?
-We should move the FAQ and tutorials into the Wiki on Google Code, to make these things more accessible. I've already created a wiki page on compiling NSMBe fresh from the trunk, by the way.
-We should create a bug tracker on Google Code. That way, bug reports will be easier to access and organize.
Posted on 08-02-11, 10:38 am
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since: 06-08-11
Well, I prefer to keep bug reports, tutorials and FAQs in this forum, and not in google code. Because I don't like having resources separated in different websites. Everything is in this forum, except for the SVN server, which is in google code. That's the most logical way of doing it...

As for publishing development builds, i'm not sure what to do. I'm worried that if we put 5.2 builds in the download page, the internet will go like "OMFG look 5.2 iz out! Letz use it right nao" and then will get angry because it's full of bugs. Many people don't understand the concept of "development build" and expect anything they download to work perfectly from the start...
Posted on 08-02-11, 04:02 pm

Well, I was thinking about doing it the way Sage does it. I like the way they organized things around there.
But, here's a candidate for a new organization:
Basically from a regular user's perspective, Google code is a place of reference, where they can look up help before posting here, and download NSMBe.
On this forum, we could have this organization:
First, at the top, we could have two big groups: Development, Support, Important Announcements, and Trash.
Under Development, we could have two categories: Major changes, and Discussions on bug fixing.
Under Support, we could have these categories: Questions and Bug reports.
Under Questions, we could have these categories: About Using NSMBe, and About NSMB Hacking.

All these categories are pretty self-explanatory.

For bug reporting however, it's a little different story.
When someone wants to report a bug, they will report it under Support -> Bug reports.
We will go and evaluate if that bug is a valid bug. If it is, and it is short, we can have someone assigned to that bug. If the bug is a big bug, that takes some debating, we will continue the discussion on Development -> Discussions on bug fixing. There, we could create a new thread, and link back to where the original bug was. If the bug is not a valid bug, we can close the thread.

On the login screen, we can put a sentence there, stating: Please read the Wiki on Google code before posting here!

So, there's my idea

And for development builds, first of all, we shouldn't treat our users as dummies and assume they don't understand what is a stable release and unstable release is (unless you could give me proof). And, on Google code, if a user wants to download the Development Build, we could post a page, with a not too long, but clear message stating that this build is buggy, before they can retrieve the download.

this is a long post!
Posted on 08-02-11, 04:12 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, okay, you've convinced me of the development builds.
Do you want to take care of doing it?

In that case, just compile everything and upload .zip files containing the executable, like the 5.1 release.
It'd be also a good idea to already include a copy of an updated spritedata.txt.

But, i'm sorry, but I prefer to organize things like they are now
It works well right now, so I don't see why we should change it.
Posted on 08-02-11, 04:17 pm

Sure! I'll do the development builds.

Ok, we'll leave the organization as it is now.
Posted on 08-02-11, 04:28 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thanks
Posted on 08-02-11, 06:27 pm

Ok, I posted the Development Build, if you haven't noticed already.
Posted on 08-02-11, 06:51 pm
Fuzzy
Full mod

Since: 06-28-11
Should we create a new build for every revision, or just once in a while to keep everyone up to date with new features?
Posted on 08-02-11, 06:54 pm
Super Mario
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't know.
A new build every revision seems excessive, because most of them are just small fixes.

ELMario, it's up to you to decide
Posted on 08-02-11, 07:03 pm

Hmm... That's a good question.
It depends on how frequently revisions come out, how much changed in that revision, and if there is demand for a build for that revision.

I might do one per revision for now. It doesn't take long to build and package one anyways.
Pages: 1