Pages: 1
Posted on 12-26-17, 01:56 pm
KingYoshi rereg.

Since: 12-21-17
Hi,

I'm trying to edit an existing model in NSMB by converting it to DAE first, in order to make some changes and then converting it back to NSBMD. My eventual goal is to edit existing Worldmap models in NSMB. Because of those models being more complicated, I decided to start with something less complicated, like the Whomp model.

There's this tool Apicula which makes it possible to convert NSBMD to DAE. It's a very nice tool, since the model's skeleton will be kept (unlike OBJ). However, there are some issues like the model in the DAE file not appearing in Maya after importing. This can be 'solved' by opening the file in Blender first.

Anyway, the main problem that keeps happening is that the Whomp model won't do its animations properly. It turns out this has something to do with the bone hierarchy structure.

I was hoping you guys could help me out here.

>> The exact steps I've done:

>> The problem with the bone hierarchy structure:

Thanks in advance, and a Merry Christmas!
Posted on 12-26-17, 02:35 pm
Mariomaster

Since: 06-09-12
I have been looking into nsmbmd <-> dae for newer worldmaps. Tho the results never were good in any way.

We endend up simply recreating them.

If your ultimate goal is creating worldmaps just directly go for that. These do not have any skeletal animations and the only thing you have to do is cutting the paths from your model and and putting them into groups in maya with names like moveXX. That allows the paths to light up when they are unlocked. I am not sure if it is possible to do this without maya/nitro tools but if you need any more help with this feel free to ask!

Worldmaps are 100% editable by now and it'd be kinda sad if nobody does something with that knowledge. NewerDS's w8's model is actually entirely recreated to allow different ground textures. We just didn't have enough time to do full custom maps for newer.
Posted on 12-26-17, 03:30 pm
Birdo

Since: 06-26-11
@Bloom, Fairy of Fire
You may want to report your problems to the developer of apicula, if you suspect they are bugs.
Posted on 12-26-17, 04:09 pm
KingYoshi rereg.

@Hiccup
I've already had a long chat with the Apicula guy. However there's no bugs according to him..

@RicBent
the only thing you have to do is cutting the paths from your model and and putting them into groups in maya with names like moveXX.

It sounds pretty easy when you put it that way. Unluckily, Maya and I don't really get along when it's about other things than converting a model to IMD. Help with this would be really appreciated.
Posted on 12-26-17, 04:27 pm
Mariomaster

If maya really isn't your thing (I hate it too btw) you can split the model in sketchup or blender. Then simply import it into Maya and name the paths like this:

Image by ray

The only thing you then export with the Nitro tools is the NSBMD as the map itself doesn't have any animations.

You can do animations in the tree model files tho if you want.
Posted on 12-26-17, 08:20 pm
KingYoshi rereg.

I'm currently trying to make something that looks like that screenshot. But I don't get the "moveXX" nodes under one group. Also I don't see those transform groups.

Posted on 12-26-17, 08:24 pm
Mariomaster

IIRC it doesn't actually matter that they are under one group. Should be enough if the meshes are named correctly.
Posted on 12-26-17, 11:18 pm
KingYoshi rereg.

Okay, something terribly went wrong here.
Pages: 1