Pages: 1
Posted on 09-25-11, 06:11 pm
Buster Beetle

Since: 06-29-11
I have been debugging and cleaning up my hack big time in the last few days. I will be making a tutorial on entrance camera settings which is a major thing that I have even overlooked...

But one thing that I have found in all these major cleanups is how dependent of multiples of 16 the game is. By this I mean camera stops, entrances, paths, views, and zones. A lot of things did not work correctly, suddenly did when I used a calculator and made sure they were whole number multiples of 16. It makes sense. Our sprites and settings are all stuck at 16s. So when the view, zone, etc. is not 16, the two do not match.

So here is my suggestion. Right now everything defaults (the above mentioned) to free floating settings. Settings in between 16. I think that all these should be adjusted to default snap to 16 (in some cases 8). This would eliminate a lot of the "why doesn't this work" questions and problems.

Instead of holding shift, alt, or whatever to snap to 16. I think we should have the hotkeys stray from 16. Default at 16. This would fix a lot of peoples problems believe me.
Posted on 09-25-11, 07:40 pm
Fuzzy
Full mod

Since: 06-28-11
Posted by luckwii
Instead of holding shift, alt, or whatever to snap to 16. I think we should have the hotkeys stray from 16. Default at 16. This would fix a lot of peoples problems believe me.

This is a really good idea . If Dirbaio doesn't, I will add this to the new editing system.
Posted on 09-25-11, 08:56 pm
Buster Beetle

Since: 06-29-11
A lot of the bugs in my hack were because I was outside of the 16x16 settings. So say my view was 258x194. I could not figure out why there would be camera jerks, 198/199 or 276 sprites weren't working. So I snapped everything to 16 or 8 depending on what it was. This fixed almost everything. I used a calculator and divided by 16 on all settings. If I did not get a whole number, I knew it was off. Then I used alt/shift/click to center views and zones. Shift/click to center paths, entrances, and progress paths.

Think about it, the DS screen is 16 width x 12 height. So everything is based off of that. If your views are 16 tiles and 2 pixels, or 258 pixels, the camera will try to scroll to those extra 2 pixels. 198/199 and 276 sprites can only process 16 x 16 pixel tiles or coordinates. This is why they have been so unreliable. Because they can't see the 18 pixel offsets.

It took forever, but I suggest everyone do the same with their hacks. Otherwise, you will be chasing your tail as I have when it comes time for bug fixes.
Pages: 1